Sport is a matter of extremes. One has to deal with the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, the confidence of being at the top of your game and the fear of not being good enough, and the joy of being a part of a great team and the struggles of simply not fitting in.

For some, these extremes are what make sport attractive. For others, they are what make sport something to be avoided at all costs. But for those of you who find yourselves in the latter category, joining an intramural team may be something worth pursuing.

Such is the thrust behind a recent promotional campaign launched by U of T Intramurals. The advertisements feature a positive message intended to reach out to female students who may feel intimidated or fearful of making the leap into the world of sports.

Jen Krol, who, along with fellow intramural veteran Laura Tan, spearheaded the campaign, stated that the intimidation factor does play a role in the rate of female participation in sport: “Girls tend to underestimate their skill level, where guys seem to have a lot more confidence, especially in co-ed [sports]. But [in intramural sport at U of T] everyone just views you as a teammate, and [the rules of] co-ed sports are adjusted to make it enjoyable for both males and females.”

Krol and Tan both were both apprehensive when beginning their intramural careers because of their lack of experience in certain sports and their lack of connections within their respective college’s athletic community. However, both took the plunge and joined a number of teams anyway-a decision that led to long and successful intramural tenures that included a number of awards, but more importantly, a heck of a lot of fun.

The ‘Cinderella-esque’ stories of this pair are featured prominently in the ads, and stress that a perceived lack of athletic ability should not sway potential participants from trying their hand at a new sport. The physical demands and rewards of intramural sports may be self-explanatory, but Tan pointed out that intramurals are about more than simply what happens on the playing surface.

“You get a chance to meet the greatest people from every college and every faculty, and feel more a part of your college [or faculty] community. I have met more people through intramurals than I have through any other school activity.”

According to Tan and Krol, it is relationships like these that make intramural sports a positive, low-pressure environment in which to stay physically active while interacting with both male and female students with similar interests and goals. The program offers a wide variety of both women’s and co-ed teams at varying skill levels where one can represent one’s college or faculty, and it’s not too late to join for the winter season.

So why not make the decision to join an intramural team? For more information, contact your college or faculty intramural representative or visit www.uoftintramurals.ca.