I want to congratulate Pierre Lueders, Beckie Scott, Clara Hughes, and Cindy Klassen for asking not to be nominated to carry the Canadian flag in the opening ceremonies of the Torino Olympics. They had the courage to think of the long-term benefits of this controversial decision despite the media roasting they faced immediately after.

The majority of athletes that declined to carry the flag told reporters that they felt carrying the flag in the opening ceremony would have negatively impacted their performances in their events in the coming days. This is as good a reason as any. These athletes have to compete early in the Games and there is no doubt marching with a flag for a number of hours would make one tired before having to sled, ski, or skate.

In fact, two of the last three Canadian flag bearers at the Winter Olympics (freestyle skier Jean-Luc Brassard and figure skater Kurt Browning) have failed to medal after entering the Games as medal favourites.

Also, people remember the Canadian athletes who win medals much longer than they remember those who carried the flag. Do people remember that Brian Orser carried the flag into the Calgary Olympics in 1988, or do they remember that he won the silver medal during that event? I am convinced it’s the latter.

Finally, amateur athletes have to be a bit selfish and consider finances when they consider carrying the flag. The reality of the situation is that amateur athletes are given very little funding by the Canadian government-much of their living and training is paid for by sponsors. The best way to keep sponsors happy and attract new donors is to win a gold medal. If the best way of winning a medal is not to carry the flag, then so be it.

Canada will forgive Pierre, Beckie and co. for making the “unpatriotic” choice not to carry the flag if they come home with medals. After all, that is what really matters in the long run, isn’t it?

-M.S.

Canada’s Olympians-the toughest, most competitive, most unshakable athletes in the country, right? Well, the number of high-profile athletes who chose not to hoist the Canadian flag in the opening ceremonies suggests otherwise.

Our top Olympians, it seems, have gone soft on us. But the issue isn’t a lack of patriotism; it’s a lack of mental and physical toughness.

Catriona LeMay Doan, flag bearer at the 2002 Games, said recently, “Marching in the opening ceremonies is exhausting, it takes so much out of you.” Ok, sure. But at last check, these were Olympians-athletes at the height of physical stamina and fitness.

Can Pierre Lueders, 6’1” and 218 pounds of pure muscle, really not hoist a stick and smile for the cameras for a few hours? Can Beckie Scott punish herself in the 15-kilometre pursuit but not complete a few laps of the stadium? Are the opening ceremonies really that draining?

It’s doubtful, but even if they are, isn’t it equal-opportunity fatigue? All of Canada’s athletes are expected to participate, after all, whether they carry the flag or not. So when it comes down to it, what difference does a pole and a few square yards of material make?

And what’s more, all countries parade around the stadium. If you’re tired, rest assured your competitors are, too.

So what is it, then? Pressure? The flag bearer does become the symbolic leader of the Canadian delegation. But, really, if our Olympic athletes wanted to avoid attention and pressure, they chose the wrong line of work. The premiere sporting event in the world isn’t the best place to play bashful.

Frankly, you’d think these athletes would jump at the chance to carry the flag, since it’s hard enough already for Olympic hopefuls to get media attention in this country. And if more face time generally means more sponsors, doesn’t it make sense that our athletes would want to soak up as much attention as they can get?

In the end, if these are the toughest, most competitive, most unshakable athletes in the nation, shouldn’t they be able to shoulder the stress of a few extra flashbulbs in their faces or a few added kilograms during the parade? I think so. And so did LeMay Doan. In the face of potential exhaustion, she proudly bore the flag (despite the added pressure of defending a gold medal). She didn’t shy away from the weight (literally or figuratively) of leading the Canadian squad-she relished in it, then went out and decimated the competition. If only all our athletes were as Olympic as she.

-M.J.