Think walking is for soccer moms? Think again. U of T’s Student Health Outreach Program (SHOP) has kicked off an edgy, exciting way to turn a casual stroll into a low-impact version of The Amazing Race.

The SHOP Walking Club began earlier this year, uniting fitness enthusiasts and newbies alike. The club promises to be a fun-filled and exhilarating bi-weekly rendez-vous with your fellow U of T students.

What exactly is the Walking Club? It’s the collaboration between three health promotion team members: Ranjith Mahendranathan, Michelle Albornoz, and Daisy Singla. These dedicated peer educators meet twice each week to turn a simple stroll around campus into a mobile party.

If you’re looking for a way to meet some new people and get fit along the way, the walking club is a great way to accomplish both. I had a chance to sit down with Singla, a fourth-year health science and psychology major, to talk about the new organization.

“By walking twice a week, we’re helping people get active and promote a healthy lifestyle. Everyone is welcome to join!” she exclaimed. “It’s a great way to get out, clear your head, meet new people, and re-energize when you’re stuck inside all day.”

The group meets at the flagpole behind SAC at 11:15 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They wanted to start close to Hart House so that students can check their bags into their lockers before they walk.

The coordinators guide students along one of six different scenic tours around campus. During the half-hour walk, they also provide a wealth of information on relevant student health issues like nutrition, a healthy life, and how to de-stress during midterms.

Sound dull? Hardly.

“Last semester we had “The Amazing Walk,” our version of The Amazing Race. Teams had to work together to solve clues and find places on campus. Everybody won prizes and the feedback was awesome,” Singla said with a laugh.

Even with her assurance, I was a little hesitant to join the group on a fast-paced tour around Philosopher’s Walk. But she guaranteed that the pace is just enough to get your heart rate going.

“There are always at least two coordinators around to keep an eye on things. There’s always someone to walk with,” Singla assured me.

What about if you’re someone like me who is shy, soft-spoken, and afraid to look like an idiot?

“Don’t worry,” she assured me, “there’s always someone new who’s joining us for the first time. We’ve been trying to target commuters who’ve probably never had a chance to spend a lot of time with anyone outside of class.”

So what do you do if you’re interested

in the SHOP Walking Club?

Visit http://www.utoronto.ca/health/walkingclub.htm and fill out the registration form.