Tests of faith, competition, indecision, and terrorist hostage-takers-welcome to yet another U of T Film Festival, which returns to Innis Town Hall this week for its fifth successful year of showcasing innovative student films.

The festival, which began Tuesday, features themed nights, including tonight’s “Lost In Translation” programme, a showcase of short films dedicated to social and cultural diversity. Tomorrow’s “Silent Night” screening spotlights silent films with live musical accompaniment. The event wraps up with the Hart House Film Board Gala on Saturday, screening top films created by film board members.

Started in 2002 by Hart House Theatre with a mandate to celebrate U of T’s student and alumni filmmakers, the festival grows and changes each year to encourage widespread awareness of cinema culture on campus. Last year, the festival opened up to the international arena for the first time, featuring films from Cambodia, Spain, France, and the U.S. This year, two international submissions (from France and Finland) are featured at the festival.

Aside from those select foreign films, festival organizers decided to take more of a national approach this year. Special priority was given to U of T student submissions, and then the film jury concentrated on Canadian projects.

“We really wanted to try to bring the [film] community together,” says producer/programmer Steven Hoffner. “We wanted to prioritize Canadian films, and I stand by the programming. There is some great content [at the festival this year].”

The festival is no small event-the opening gala alone featured performances by rising Canadian actors Ryan Cooley (Degrassi: The Next Generation) and Siu Ta (This Is Wonderland), as well as Renuka Jayapalan’s film Big Girl, which premiered at last year’s Toronto International Film Festival and the Berlin Short Film Festival. The movie follows a young girl who must come to terms with her mother’s new boyfriend. A former U of T student, Jayapalan believes strongly in the opportunities that the festival offers.

“It’s where I got my start,” she enthuses. “I made my first film at the Hart House Film Board while I was an undergraduate student.”

Filmmaker Brendon Foster-Algoo, who also had a film showcased at the festival last year, is back with his new movie Mantis, the story of a man who must decide between the lives of his children and the future of his relationship.

“The U of T film community means quite a bit to filmmakers who are making their first steps into the industry,” Foster-Algoo says. “The support is greatly needed and should be encouraged.”

Everyone involved can reap the benefits of a festival that is becoming further entrenched in the local film scene with each passing year. Student writers, actors, and directors get to display the results of their hard work, and audience members get to enjoy an evening of entertainment for only $5.

“It’s a forum where you can see artists at [your] age making really incredible product,” says Hoffner. “Hopefully it can incite some action on the behalf of young filmmakers at U of T to be inspired and create their own work.”

The U of T Film Festival runs until Feb. 18 every evening at 7 pm at Innis Town Hall. Tickets are $5 for students. For more info, see uoftfilmfest.ca.