Nothing’s gonna stop us

The women’s hockey team is still in the hunt for Ontario University Athletics (OUA) gold after a 2-0 victory over the Windsor Lancers at home Saturday night. This was the first playoff test for the Blues, as the game was an OUA quarterfinal match.

Laura Foster and Lyndsey Ryan each scored for Toronto in the second period, giving their team all the offence they would need. Lisa Robertson took care of the rest, making 20 saves en route to a shutout.

The Blues hammered Windsor 7-1 the last time the two squads met. The Lancers were able to keep this match closer, but in the end they could not solve Toronto’s intimidating defence and outstanding goaltending.

Toronto will now take on Queen’s on March 4 at Brock in an OUA semi-final game. The Blues are now only one win away from the gold-medal game.

-MATT SOMERS

Never surrender

Toronto’s swim teams didn’t live up to their rankings at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) finals in Quebec City last weekend, but that does not mean the competition was a disaster. The men’s team managed to battle to bronze medals, and the women’s team finished fourth on their side of the bracket.

Both Blues teams were ranked second in the CIS top ten heading into the championships. The University of British Columbia’s (UBC) men’s and women’s teams were both at the top of the standings and were the only team considered better than U of T.

No University of Toronto swimmers won gold medals during the three-day event, but a variety of individuals and relay teams took home silver and bronze. Marco Monaco and Ian MacLeod each won four medals to lead the men’s team to bronze, while Jen Porenta paced the women’s team with three top-three finishes.

UBC lived up to their billing, winning the overall championship in both the men’s and women’s competition.

Read Monday’s sports section for more coverage of our swim teams.

-MS

Thriller

It was a good weekend for U of T’s track teams. Seventeen individual medals were earned by the squad at the OUA championships in Windsor and the women’s team was able to capture the team silver medal.

The men just missed ending up on the podium themselves, finishing in fourth place overall.

Six Blues won gold medals at the meet. This list includes: Megan Brown in the 1,500m race, Beth Wightman in the 3,000m, and Suzanne Fish in the pole vault. On the men’s side, Jose Carvahlo won the 600m, Mark Stewart captured the 60m hurdles crown, and Mark Dillon was the best high jumper at the meet.

Both teams will now head to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to compete at the CIS championships from March 9-12. Good luck Blues, and bring us back some medals.

Read The Varsity in the coming weeks for more coverage of our track and field teams.

-MS