Glass-box fetish

This will be a good weekend for people who enjoy watching two people scurry around in little glass-walled rooms, as the Black Knight University and College Squash Championship takes place from Friday to Sunday. Players from schools all over Canada, including some from U of T, will be participating in this entertaining event.

Toronto’s own Julia Hamilton won the women’s open at last year’s tournament, making it three straight victories for this university. Western’s Rob Nigro has won the past four men’s titles.

New champions will be crowned this year, as both Hamilton and Nigro are not competing in the event. Twenty-one U of T students in total are participating in the various levels of competition at the tournament, making it likely that at least one of them will be in the finals.

Admission to this event is free for spectators, which is incredibely welcome at a time of year where people are shocked at how thin their wallets have become. The finals start at 1 p.m. at the AC on Sunday, so those who can’t afford to spend a whole weekend watching squash matches can just stop by on the last day and see who wins.

-MATT SOMERS

Athletes gone wild

What could be more appealing to North American college kids than co-ed nude sports? This spring many will converge on the sunny south to enjoy this spectacle for themselves.

That’s right, the Nude College Athletic Meet is back for another year. This time it takes place near Monticello, Florida, on March 26.

Participants will compete in traditional ancient Greek events like javelin, long jump, and discuss. The winner in each field will be awarded a victory wreath of leaves.

Everyone at this event will be in the buff. Participants, spectators, photographers, and reporters all have put their shame aside for one day and enjoy the warmth and fresh air on places where the sun usually don’t shine.

-MS

Gold-medal lusts

Toronto’s indoor track and field and women’s hockey teams will be going for Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) gold this weekend, as they both will be participating in national championships. The track team will be in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to do battle with the country’s best, while the women’s hockey will be playing for medals at St. Francis Xavier in Antigonish, Nova Scotia.

The women’s track team is coming off a bronze-medal finish at the recent Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships in Windsor. The women’s hockey team won silver at last weekend’s OUA finals in St. Catharines.

Read the sports section next week for coverage of these events.

-MS

Autograph desires

Got the no-football blues? Well, the Argos will try and cheer you up this weekend, as players and cheerleaders will be signing autographs and selling tickets at local malls.

Returner Bashir Levingston and receiver Tony Miles will be at the Pickering Town Centre at 2 p.m. on Saturday to put pen to hats, jerseys, and ticket stubs and to shoot the breeze with the Argo faithful. Running back John Avery and safety Chris Hardy will be at Vaughan Mills Mall Sunday at 1 p.m. to perform the same duties.

-MS