What the hell were they thinking?

News has surfaced over the last few days that Bernie Glieberman, one of the owners of the CFL’s Ottawa Renegades, might withdraw financial support for the team before the 2006 season, tsn.ca is reporting. This move could put the struggling franchise on the verge of folding for a second time.

No one should be surprised by Glieberman’s threat. He helped run the original Ottawa franchise, the Roughriders, into the ground in 1996. The CFL still allowed him to take control of the new franchise in the nation’s capital, as they were desperate to find an owner for the floundering team.

Very few investors want to buy the Renegades, as season’s-tickets sales are almost non-existent. Perhaps the team will be relocated to the east coast. The CFL has been holding exhibition games in various places east of Quebec in an attempt to see if there is enough support for a team in one of the Maritime provinces.

Don’t be surprised if there is a team in place in St. John’s or Halifax within three years.

-MATT SOMERS

Don’t bet the farm

It would not be wise to place a large bet on the U.S. to win the World Baseball Classic this spring. They were upset by Canada (woo hoo) in the first round of the tournament and were beaten by South Korea on Monday.

The Canadian victory over the heavily favoured Americans has been called the greatest achievement in this country’s baseball history. It was obvious that our neighbours to the south took Canada too lightly and were short on quality pitching on the day.

No one expected South Korea-who has to contend with Cuba, Japan, the Dominican Republic, and the US-to be the only undefeated team at this point in the tournament. Hee-Seop Choi and the gang have now become the team to beat.

The Americans will attempt to keep their faint gold-medal hopes alive when they play Mexico tonight. Korea and Japan played in a late game last night, but results were not known at press time.

This writer likes Puerto Rico to win it all, and you can quote me on that!

-MS

And on the out-of-town scoreboard

The UBC Thunderbirds are the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) women’s basketball champions after beating Cape Breton 56-53 at the national final on March 12. UBC was the second seed coming into the event and Cape Breton was ranked fourth.

UBC came back from a 50-49 deficit with just over a minute left to win the gold. The team showed just how resilient they are with the comeback.

Thunderbird Kelsey Blair led all scorers with 16 points in the match. Maureen Murrin scored 15 points to lead the Capers in a losing cause.

On other fronts, the men’s basketball finals get under way tonight in Halifax. The Victoria Vikes are the top seed heading into the tournament, but will have to contend with strong teams from UBC, Carleton, and St. Francis-Xavier.

No one is taking the Carleton Ravens lightly in these finals, as they have won the last three national titles. They may not be the top seed heading in, but don’t be surprised if they walk out with a fourth straight title to strengthen their dynasty.

-MS