Men’s basketball

The ’05-’06 season began on a promising note for the team, but culminated in a disappointing ending. However, the Blues were still able to hush skeptics and surpass expectations.

In addition to qualifying for the playoffs for the second consecutive season, the Blues were the first U of T men’s basketball squad in 17 years to reach the 15-win mark, finishing with an impressive 16-6 record. Led by first-team all-star Mike Williams, the Blues posted an impressive 10-game winning streak during the campaign.

The success, however, was cut short in a stunning loss to the 6-16 Queen’s Golden Gaels in the playoffs. Overall, though, the team made significant strides and showed plenty of promise for next season.

First-year players such as Nick Snow, Nick Magalas, and Ahmed Nazmi figure to play prominent roles next year, and former national team assistant coach Mike Katz solidified the team’s leadership.

“Katz brought a new level of commitment and play to U of T,” commented Nazmi.

Grade: B+

-Azim Ahmed

Women’s basketball

Finishing the season one win shy from reaching the national championships, the team had a solid 05-06 season. Despite fielding a young roster with only two senior-year players, the Blues competed hard throughout the year and gave the York Lions all they could handle in a 67-60 OUA east final loss.

This defeat followed a heart-stopping win over Queen’s in the semifinal. The women were riding a late-season momentum surge, as they won their last five regular season games to finish the season 14-8, good for second in the east division.

Third-year veteran Christine Cho led the way in scoring and rebounding, while also hitting a league-best 53 per cent of field goals. Rookie guard Alaine Hutton took east division rookie of the year honours, highlighting the team’s youth and potential.

Grade: A-

-AA

Men’s hockey

This year’s edition of the team proved to be a Jekyll-and-Hyde squad that saw its season divided into two halves. The Blues got off to a disastrous start, going winless in their first 12 games, but managed to come together in the season’s final half, posting an impressive 8-2-1-1 record down the stretch.

Toronto’s overall performance allowed them to capture their sixth consecutive division title. But for the second year in a row, the Blues were swept out of the playoffs by a strong Trois Rivières squad.

Centre Ray Smegal led the team in scoring with 30 points, 14 of them goals. Wingers Simon Barg and Anthony Pallotta also added to the Blues offence with 28 and 26 points, respectively.

This year’s roster was chock-full of young talent, and it was most likely this youth and inexperience that contributed to its slow start.

Grade: B-

-Matt Ventresca

Women’s hockey

The Blues really turned it on at the end of the season. The team only lost one contest over their last ten regular-season games and posted three consecutive shutouts to end the year.

The Blues won two straight playoff games and ended up in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) finals against Laurier, where a fluky overtime goal was all that prevented them from knocking off the defending champs and capturing provincial gold. The Blues then went on to the national championship tourney and finished fifth. Centre Emily Patry displayed her vast array of playmaking skills this year, notching 18 assists. Katie Dowdall continually showed wizardry with the puck, and Annie Delguidice exhibited a knack for scoring big goals.

The goaltending tandem of Lisa Robertson and Stephanie Lockert was sensational all year long. The two netminders posted six shutouts between them.

Grade: B+

-MV

Football

An inexperienced and young core of players and a sloppy home field were just two of the barriers to success for the Blues football team this season. The team finished 0-8, extending their losing streak to five years.

The Blues were last in at least six defensive categories. They were also shut out twice this season by a combined margin of 109-0, and turned the ball over 24 times. But they were quite competitive at times, taking several games to the wire in entertaining fashion; overtime losses to Waterloo and York were tantalizingly close contests.

The Blues also had a core of exceptional athletes that will get a lot of playing time next season. Marc Gaudett posted 822 yards rushing on the year-the second-highest single-season total in Blues history.

Templar Iga led Toronto with 41 tackles and 13 assisted tackles on the defensive side, while Simon Clarke-Okahwas was first in interceptions with two.

Grade: C-

-Perry King