Who says Canadians can’t do summer sports?

Alexandra Orlando, a commerce student at the University of Toronto, capped an outstanding performance at the Commonwealth Games Sunday with four gold medals in the apparatus disciplines of rhythmic gymnastics. Orlando, 19, won two medals earlier in the individual all-around competition and as part of the Canadian team.

The six medals tie a Games record, achieved three times in the past.

-ADEEL AHMAD

Golden Bears win gold medals: coincidence
or fix?

The Alberta Golden Bears won the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) men’s hockey title last night with a 3-2 victory over the Lakehead Thunderwolves. This is the second straight title for Alberta, who beat the Saskatchewan Huskies in 2005.

Lakehead opened the scoring in the affair, as Tobias Whelan scored on the powerplay just 1:16 into the contest. That lead was short-lived, however, as Harlan Anderson, Richard Hamula, and Dylan Stanley answered for Alberta before the game was 13 minutes old.

Thunderwolf Jeff Richardson made the game 3-2 with a goal midway through the second, but that was as close as Lakehead would get. The defence of the Golden Bears shut down the mighty Lakehead offence the rest of the way en route to capturing their 12th national title.

This writer thinks it’s funny that Alberta has “golden” in their name and won gold, but most experts think this is pure coincidence. Whatever.

-MATT SOMERS

Bust out those big, beautiful bikes

Spring has certainly sprung and U of T’s mountain bike team is prepared to take full advantage of the weather. On April 3 they will host their sixth annual bike tune-up fundraiser in the lobby of the Athletic Centre, with the proceeds going to support the team.

The tune-up will cost 25 bucks, which is cheap compared to what you would pay at Joe Schmo’s Bike Emporium, or anywhere else for that matter. Students can drop their bikes off any time between 8:45 a.m. and 3 p.m. and can go take care of their daily commitments while their ‘babies’ get lube, oil, and filter…err…fixed up for the spring and summer of 2006.

Dust off ol’ Betsy and bring her to the AC on April 3. Both of you will be glad you did. Trust me.

-MS