Student groups continue to advocate for permanent prayer space for Muslim students. The problem came to a head when fire marshals told students they could no longer pray in stairwells, as Muslim students had resorted to after finding multi-faith prayer facilities overcrowded and inappropriate for their religious needs.

Doctors on the way

U of T announced that it would be opening a fourth medical academy at UTM starting this fall. The academy will have a capacity for 144 students, and will employ videoconference technology to link professors and students located at UTM with those at St. George campus, where the other three academies are located.

Pervert update

In April 2006, Stephen Thorne, a 20-year old student, was arrested at his residence on charges of possessing and distributing child pornography. He has been convicted and expelled.

This fall, police warned students to be on the lookout for a man who had been seen peeking through the windows of residences. Four different peeping toms have been reported lurking the campus in as many years.

Rumble in the stacks

The Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre was opened on Oct. 10, offering much more study space than had been available at the school’s old library. The library was opened before construction was complete, and in November studiers complained about construction noise.

-Ben Spurr