On Saturday, Oct. 27, protestors in 25 Canadian cities called for the immediate withdrawal of troops from Afganistan. At least 2,000 demonstrated outside the U.S. consulate in Toronto, according to Sid Lacombe, president of the Canadian Peace Alliance.

Canada participated as a result of U.S. foreign policy, said Lacombe. “[It] was never, never about the liberation of the people of Afghanistan.” He cited reports developed by various anti-war NGOs, arguing that progress in areas such as women’s rights and democracy has been limited.

“The Taliban is stronger now than they were in 2001 because they are fighting the invaders,” Lacombe said.

Ryan Hayes, president of the Arts and Science Students Union, attended the rally in an unofficial capacity on behalf of No One Is Illegal, an organization that supports immigrant and indigenous rights.

“Students definitely were the most energetic, had the most rhythm, and were bringing the most energy,” Hayes said of the rally, which saw students from all three U of T campuses.

The protests followed the Stephen Harper’s Oct. 22 announcement of the plan to extend the Afghanistan mission by an additional two years, to 2011.

Only two weeks ago, Harper appointed an independent panel to explore Canada’s options in Afghanistan. The newly-announced extension was not one of the four options that the panel was assigned to investigate. Whether the panel’s recommendation will coincide with the prime minister’s intended policy, and how it will be taken into account, remains to be seen.

The Liberals called for the removal of Canadian troops from a combat role by 2009, while the NDP favoured an immediate withdrawal.