Last Thursday, the heads of nine undergraduate societies at St. George campus ratified the constitution for the St. George Roundtable. The SGRT is currently composed of all seven college council presidents, as well as the heads of the Engineering Society and the undergraduate association for the faculty of physical health and education.

The constitution outlines two key roles for the council: to act as a forum for collaboration and “to take the lead in coordinating directives and policy on mutual issues of concern.” The body started as the President’s Roundtable, an informal group for dialogue.

“We aren’t trying to take over the role of the U of T Students’ Union, but complement them in providing the best services for students,” said Catherine Brown, president of the Victoria University Student Administrative Council.

When the constitution was debated at VUSAC, there was concern that the SGRT has not defined its role with UTSU. The council has not outlined what policy matters it will be moving forward with, or what services they aimed to provide. Its most recent action in this area is a letter sent in May concerning flat fees.

UTSU president Sandy Hudson and VP campus life Danielle Sandhu did not respond to calls and emails for comment.

“The SGRT, on behalf of all the college councils, sent a joint letter for the faculty of arts and science,” said Brown . “We all know that had little impact on the final decision, but I think this is one example of policy which colleges with the help of faculties can take a lead on in future.”

College council presidents and UTSU execs have blamed each other for a lack of cooperation. For homecoming events, for example, council reps said VP campus life Danielle Sandhu excluded them, while Sandhu said that most college councils did not respond to her invitations.

Winterfest, a week of events in January, will be the next collaboration. Conflict erupted over last year’s event after UTSU snatched a club that St. Mike’s had already booked. St. Mike’s then organized separate events under “Chill Week.”

Steve Masse, president of the Woodsworth College Students’ Association, said the SGRT is coordinating the planning meetings for this year’s event, something previously organized by the UTSU. “It’s going to be out of the hands of UTSU controlling the event and more of a collaborative effort,” said Francesca Imbrogno, president of the St. Michael’s College Student Union. “Everybody is giving the same amount of money, everyone is putting in the same amount of work, and everyone gets the same amount of say rather than the colleges being dictated to.”

The SGRT has decided to extend membership invitations to several other undergraduate student councils at St. George, including student councils for music, medicine, and law.

The St. George Roundtable’s constitution and minutes are available at sgrt.ca.