As footballs and soccer balls were distributed along the edge of Varsity Field, “She’s Got Game,” an event aimed at recruiting women for the various University of Toronto Intramurals, kicked off.

The nearly 75 participants were welcomed by upbeat music and a breakdown of the day’s activities, which ranged from Zumba to flag football to soccer.

Zumba, a Latin-inspired workout combining salsa, merengue, and world rhythms, set the event in motion. The warm-up was particularly impressive in its ability to involve women of all abilities, with its repetition of a series of basic steps. By the routine’s conclusion, all those participating were confident, and successfully doing the workout. One student raved that the dance-focused exercise was invigorating and, “got my body moving with a certain rhythm that I can take to the dance floor.”

Some of the most popular women’s intramural sports were on display throughout the day as participants engaged in a circuit featuring flag football, ultimate frisbee, and soccer. Students led by members of the flag football intramural team ran short routes along the goal line, and took part in a series of tackling drills.

Centre field was occupied by a game of ultimate frisbee, preceeded by short lessons on proper throwing and catching techniques, while on the far side, attendees were put through a series of soccer drills before playing a short game.

Cindy, a first year social sciences student and the winner of an iPod shuffle — one of several prizes awarded throughout the afternoon — said that she chose to attend the event because she wanted to maintain the high level of enthusiasm and social networking that she experienced during Frosh Week. Initially interested in joining the Varsity Blues badminton team, but fearful of the intensity of intercollegiate sports, she opted to test out some of the intramurals instead. Many of those in attendance were in first year, seeking a way to connect on what can often be a daunting campus.

While planning “She’s Got Game,” Michelle Brownrigg, the Director of Physical Activity and Equity, stressed the importance of equity, paying special attention to targeting commuters like Cindy, as well as international students. By holding the event on the Varsity Field, Brownrigg hoped to teach the women that the turf and track are not reserved for high-level athletes. “If they don’t know where to go when they first arrive,” Brownrigg said, “they will probably never come to the Stadium.”

The goal of Caley Venn, a Physical Activity Ambassador, is to get students off the couch and create an environment in which they can train and progress at their own pace. As an ambassador, she strives to make people more comfortable with sports, since she has witnessed the positive attitude and increased motivation that grows from such involvement.
In the hope of drawing in new members, Mohsin Bukhari, the Assistant Manager of Intramurals, organized a series of sports clinics that will be offered over the upcoming weeks for players of all abilities.

Intramurals specifically for women include volleyball, basketball, soccer, hockey, field hockey, and lacrosse. Elite players can try out at the tri-campus level, which involves a greater level of commitment and games between all three University campuses. Over the next few weeks, clinics, including those listed below, will be held across campus.
After the event had wound down with a relaxing yoga session, a group of women, representing a wide range of skill and experience, trickled off the field with an increased sense of unity, eagerly awaiting all that Intramurals have to offer.

Clinics

*Thursday, September 22nd:
5–7 pm soccer (Front Campus)
7–9 pm flag football (Back Campus)

Wednesday, September 28th:
7 pm ice hockey (Arena)

Thursday, September 29th:
5–7 pm basketball (Athletic Centre)
7–9 pm volleyball (Athletic Centre)*