Gee-Gees avenge last season’s surprise defeat to Blues

The Varsity Blues football team fell 41–0 to the Ottawa Gee-Gees on Saturday, September 24 in Ottawa.

With the loss, the Blues dropped to 2–2 and are now tied with the Queen’s Gaels for fifth place in the OUA standings.

Ottawa improved to 3–1 this season and now holds a 21–17 head-to-head record against the Blues for the past 106 years; Toronto snapped a 37-year losing streak in last season’s upset win over the Gee-Gees.

Toronto hit the road after a breakout 21–12 victory over the Guelph Gryphons in last Saturday’s home opener. The offense scored its first three touchdowns of the season against the Gryphons, and U of T’s number one ranked defense continued to hold the opposition out of the end zone.

In Ottawa, the Blues came out strong with senior quarterback Andrew Gillis hitting three different receivers as the team drove the ball down to the Ottawa 18-yard line. However, on the next play, Ottawa linebacker Nick Lecour returned a Gillis interception to the Ottawa 40-yard line, putting an end to both the drive and the Blues’ momentum.

The Blues’ offense was unable to establish a rhythm against the Gee-Gees after that and finished the game with 12 punts, 4 interceptions, and 4 lost fumbles. Gillis, who was 17-of-33 for 190 yards and four interceptions, was replaced at the beginning of the fourth quarter by Richard Quittenton, who went 3-for-5 for 41 yards but was also sacked 4 times.

Mohamed Abdallah led the Blues with 4 receptions for 62 yards in his hometown, while veteran receiver Sebastian Magalas reeled in 4 passes for 58 yards, including a team-leading 33 yard catch.

Wilkerson DeSouza, last week’s CIS and OUA defensive player of the week, led the team with 8 solo tackles, while Zack Lukings and Owynn Lahnalampi each recorded a sack.

Ottawa clearly controlled the momentum of the game as the team scored five touchdowns, including one off a 32-yard pass from Colbon and two field goals of 40 and 43 yards.

The Varsity Blues return to Varsity Stadium this Friday to host the Queen’s Gaels. — Zoe Bedard