The University of Toronto Homophile Association (UTHA), a group that honours the legacy of Ontario’s first gay rights activist group, , was celebrated on November 2 at University College.

A plaque was laid on the east side of UC, where UTHA held its first public meeting on November 4, 1969, and the gesture celebrated the sexual diversity movement at U of T.

“As someone who has been here for a quarter of a century, [I feel] these programs and initiatives have made this university a far better place,” said President David Naylor, who was wearing a bright pink pin with the words “proud PFLAG dad,” an organization founded by parents who want to understand their non-heterosexual children.

Founded in October, 1969 by Jearld Moldenhauer, a physiology research assistant, UTHA started when he placed an ad in The Varsity seeking “anyone interested in discussing the establishment of a student homophile organization.”

The group’s recognition as an official association stirred controversy in the media, leading to Moldenhauer’s dismissal after publicly defending the organization.

As stated in its constitution, UTHA’s goals were to educate the community, fight discrimination, and bring about social and personal acceptance of homosexuality.

These goals were achieved through discussion groups, plays, guest lectures, dances, newsletters, protests, and an information table in Sidney Smith Hall, which aimed to raise sexual diversity awareness on campus.

The plaque was awarded a month after the Sexual and Gender Diversity Office faced near closure