Earlier this year, when I decided to attend U of T, I was bombarded with horror stories about how the undergraduate experience is a four-year sentence to a life of solitude on the 12th floor of Robarts Library. Unfortunately, among prospective students, these horror stories are commonplace. U of T students are not exactly helping things either. One of the most common complaints about our campus is that there is a lack of unity and spirit. As a first-year student, what’s my verdict? After spending four months on this campus, I can unequivocally say that I am a proud Varsity Blue and that I love attending U of T. So what makes my story different from the countless tales of horror? When students complain about the lack of spirit at U of T, they place the blame on commuting, high academic standards, student governments like UTSU, the various colleges, and the U of T administration. The majority of the blame, however, falls squarely on the student body.

To a lot of students, a typical day at U of T consists of the commute to class, attending class, and getting back home. Unfortunately, students fall victim to this routine and become trapped within its confines. As a result, feelings of isolation and resentment can begin to grow. Once again, the argument is made that it is the demanding workload put on by the university that causes this cycle. While U of T’s high academic standards may be one of the causes of the routine, it is the attitude of students that perpetuate this cycle.

In order to improve “school spirit” at U of T, one first has to have school spirit. How can this be done? The best way to do this is by getting to know your campus and your fellow students and building a U of T community for yourself. This can seem a daunting task at a university that boasts 45,000+ students, but it’s doable. Start off by getting to know some people in your lecture and tutorial. This may be awkward at first, but believe me, it will win you friends. You already share something in common with them; you both took the same course. Then, look for things to do on campus that interest you; join an intramural team, a StarCraft club or a humanitarian advocacy group. This will expose you to other people, most likely studying other subjects, who again have something in common with you. Eventually, you’ll have connections all over campus.

Finally, get to know your campus better. Pick up a copy of The Varsity, watch a few UTTV clips, and follow U of T-related pages on Twitter and Facebook. Make use of Hart House and the Athletic Centre once in a while, have free tea and cookies at the UC Union, or take some quiet time for yourself at the Multi Faith Centre. Also, it doesn’t hurt to change up where you study and eat every once in a while; this breaks your routine and allows you to be more familiar with your campus.

All of this requires a certain amount of time, and, no doubt, there will not be time to do everything that I’ve mentioned. The common response is that students need to maximize time for studying, especially for those who have so little of it to begin with. This defeatist attitude is why we have no school spirit. We need to change our attitudes and have to be willing to take steps to make our undergraduate experience better. Keep in mind that university is an experience to be had, not just a four-year obstacle in the way of your future career. By improving your campus experience, you will be a happier student and consequently, your time management and study skills will improve — but you have to be willing to take the first step.