Toys

Fleshlight

Who it’s for: guys looking for a high quality reusable
masturbator

Price: $79.95

Rating: 3.5/5

The makers of the Fleshlight tout it as the world’s best-selling sex toy for men, so they’re probably doing something right. The Fleshlight comes in a hard plastic case with a removable cyberskin insert. While it’s much more expensive than the Tenga, it’s also more realistic — the cyberskin polymer is soft, retains heat well, and doesn’t feel like cheap plastic. The Fleshlight doesn’t score perfect marks because the insert can start to feel tacky if you don’t coat it in an absorbent powder after use, such as corn starch or talcum.  It also doesn’t come cheap.

Tenga masturbator

Who it’s for: guys looking for an inexpensive and discreet disposable masturbator

Price: $17.99

Rating: 2/5

The Tenga masturbator comes sealed, pre-lubricated and ready for action at a moment’s notice. The Tenga is meant to be thrown out after one or two uses, so you don’t get much bang for your buck. The inside has studs and ribs and feels exactly how you’d expect — like putting your junk into a wet soft plastic tube with controllable suction. Don’t expect it to feel like real intercourse.

GPS vibrator

Who it’s for: the budget-conscious guy or girl looking to try G-spot or prostate stimulation

Price: $34.95

Rating: 2/5

It may resemble Death’s finger, but the appropriately named GPS vibrator will help you locate your G-spot (for women) or your prostate (for men). The strong smell of rubber makes it less appealing than the more popular silicone models, and it could have benefited from stronger vibrations, but the price point makes this an appealing starter vibrator.

Icicles hand blown massager

Who it’s for: The artfully inclined guy or girl

Price: $49.95

Rating: 3/5

A little lubrication goes a long way with this beautiful hand-blown glass sex toy. Its gentle curve and satisfying weight make it perfect for both vaginal and anal insertion, but it should be warmed under running water prior to use. Much less natural in feeling than the real deal, this toy is nonetheless a sleek and sexy experience with the absence of tacky rubbers and embarrassing packaging. Cleaning is a cinch, as the glass is non-porous. Totally sexy.

For the more adventurous 

Fuzzy cuffs

Who it’s for: couples looking to
try some light BDSM 

Price: $17.95

Rating: 3.5/5

The soft velvet-like padding on these handcuffs will keep your wrists safe from unpleasant chafing, though it has a tendency to shift and bunch up. Handcuffs can add a fun new dynamic to your sexy times.

Nipple clamps by Spartacus

Who it’s for: guys and girls looking to experiment with nipple stimulation

Price: $18.95

Rating: 4/5

On first inspection, nipple clamps seem pretty terrifying; as one Varsity staffer remarked, they closely resemble jumper cables. That being said, the “don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it” principle seems to apply here. The clamps are fully adjustable, with the pressure ranging from a gentle pinch to purple nurple. They are well-paired with intercourse and provide a unique sensation for those inclined to sensory overload.

Lubes

Gun Oil

Base: Silicone

Price: $11.95 for 59 mL

Rating: 3.5/5

A silicone base means that Gun Oil lasts much longer than water-based lube, but it’s also hard to wash off, and can stain fabrics.

Liquid Silk

Base: Water

Price: $9.95 for 50 mL

Rating: 4/5

As the namesake implies, Liquid Silk lube is very smooth to the touch. It is best for vaginal intercourse, as it is thinner and does not contain glycerin, which can promote yeast infections.

Maximus 

Base: Water

Price: $9.95 for 50 mL

Rating: 4.5/5

The thickest of the lubes here, Maximus is great for anal play, providing ample cushion. But it doesn’t last as long as silicone based lube, and can leave a sticky residue.

Where to buy

Come As You Are
493 Queen Street West
www.comeasyouare.com

Come As You Are advertises itself as Canada’s only co-op sex shop. Owned and managed by friendly and knowledgeable employees, the store has a good selection of premium toys and books.

Priape
501 Church Street
www.priape.com

Located at the corner of Church and Wellesley in the gay village, Priape markets itself to an LGBTQ audience, with an incredibly wide selection of toys and supplies, including Priape’s own make of fetish items.

Stag Shop
239 Yonge Street & 449 Church Street
www.stagshop.com

With a store across from the Eaton Centre and one in the gay village, Stag Shop’s two Toronto locations cater to both heterosexual and LGBTQ shoppers. Expert staff at the store’s Church Street are of particular note, as is the 10 per cent student discount.

Materials & care

Silicone

Pros: soft, easy to clean, inexpensive

Cons: some silicone toys that contain phthalates can be damaged from use with silicone lube, and may be carcinogenic

Cyberskin

Pros: incredibly life-like and soft

Cons: expensive, hard to clean and maintain as a result of its porousness, and can be damaged by silicone lube

Glass/pyrex

Pros: easy to clean, durable, aesthetically pleasing

Cons: hard, fragile, and cold to the touch