It’s no secret that women have a lot more options available to them than men do when it comes to contraception. Faced with a wide variety of pills, intra-uterine devices, diaphragms, and surgeries available, making a choice can often be difficult. A recent study by researchers at the University of Edinburgh published in PLoS Genetics is predicting a shift in this dichotomy.

The researchers found a gene called Katnal1, which is essential for the development of sperm. They argue that finding a drug that could target this gene may result in a male version of the Pill. Currently, men do have the option of taking drugs to lower their fertility, but the majority of these drugs are hormone-based and cause a variety of negative side effects such as acne and mood swings. Katnal1, however, is not associated with hormone levels in the body, and so remains a promising target for a new generation of male contraceptives with reduced side-effects.

The Edinburgh-based research team was able to create mice that lacked the Katnal1 gene, which rendered them infertile. The gene is responsible for the development of a cellular structure called microtubules, which are very important in sperm maturation. The researchers noted that any contraceptives arising from this research would be fully reversible, since the gene only affects late-stage sperm formation, offering men a non-permanent alternative to vasectomy.

If you’re looking to put away your child-making potential  permanently, there’s good news for you as well. In addition to the reversible contraceptive, the researchers claim that a more complicated, irreversible treatment could be developed in the future. Introducing a DNA sequence that permanently blocks Katnal1 would induce sterility; however, this treatment is unlikely to hit the market for another decade.

Source: Science Daily