Your first few weeks at U of T can feel overwhelming. But slowly, things will begin to make sense. As you build up a rhythm of waking up for class just in the nick of time and writing papers faster than you thought humanly possible, you’ll start to feel like you’ve been here all along. It can be hard to pinpoint the precise moment when you realize that you’ve found your niche at U of T, but here are a few milestones experienced by generations of students before you. Welcome to the club!

***

Faced with a seemingly insurmountable research essay, you swallow your pride and head to Robarts for the first time. It’s dark, dystopian, and eerie, but you’re surprised to find that you can finally focus. Enjoy U of T’s finest piece of Brutalist architecture.

***

Maybe the essay doesn’t go so well and you end up pulling your first all-nighter. You might find that you work surprisingly well under pressure, or learn that you should absolutely never do it again. Either way, you’ll probably need coffee.

***

You discover a pocket of the city that you absolutely love. Whether it’s neighborhoods like Little Portugal and Leslieville, parks like Trinity Bellwoods, or great walking spots like the Harbourfront, you feel like you’re finally connecting in a small, quiet way to this city.

***

You want to go out and meet some friends. You put on your jacket, your shoes, open the door and head out. It slowly dawns on you that you didn’t need to ask your parents (or anyone else) for permission.

***

Realizing that the freshman fifteen is an actual thing. School can be stressful, and working through an essay with a bag of Doritos can ease the pain. But remember, moderation is everything! Get regular exercise, and if it’s cheesy, greasy, salty or sweet, try to battle your temptations.

***

Finding out that you just might have a lot in common with your peers. Interested enough to apply to the same school? Taking some of the same courses? Drawn to the same city? There could be a connection there.

***

Make your first friend outside of your college. After frosh, you’ll be well-acquainted with the people around your residence. But meeting someone from another college gives you a sense of U of T’s true size — and can offer an escape if the college scene is feeling claustrophobic!

***

On the morning of the first serious hangover, after the first big night of drinking, you find yourself sitting in your dining hall, picking at tater tots, wondering what happened to your life (or indeed, last night.) But look around and you’ll probably see some fellow lost souls.

***

You check your bank balance and realize that you’re broke. Budgeting as a student is paramount to living and studying effectively. The school itself has a multitude of job opportunities. So whether it’s postering or stacking books, consider a job to support your studies.

***

You stop introducing yourself through your hometown or high school. University is a blank slate. Whether you’re from the suburbs, Saskatchewan, or Sri Lanka, you’re basically a Torontonian now. If anything, you’ll be defined by your college, program, courses, and most off all, your attitude.