An extremophilic type of algae has the ability to survive in extreme environments such as the high temperatures of pristine hot springs or the toxic and corrosive environment of decrepit mine shafts. Recently, this algae has been discovered to use a genetic technique never before seen in eukaryotes.

The red algae Galdieria sulphuraria uses horizontal gene transfer to adapt to extreme environments, by acquiring genes from other bacteria instead of simply depending on genes inherited from its ancestors.

Although horizontal gene transfer is common in the evolution of bacteria, it was not expected to occur among organisms that contained nuclei since these organisms could rely on sexual reproduction to produce recombinant genomes in their offspring.

Many characteristics of G. sulphuraria, such as the ability to withstand high temperatures, co-exist with heavy metals like arsenic and mercury, tolerate high salt concentrations, and accept a variety of food sources came about through genes it acquired from other bacteria or archaebacteria.

The findings, which were determined by using comparative gene sequencing, were reported this month by a group of 18 international scientists in the journal Science. Gerald Schoenknecht, one of the study’s lead authors, thinks “the results give us new insights into evolution,” while co-author Martin Lercher added, “Why reinvent the wheel if you can copy it from your neighbour?”

Although the question of how G. sulphuraria accomplishes this feat is still unanswered, the fact that it could integrate genes taken from an entirely different organism and develop qualities to improve its own survival opens the door to many exciting possibilities in genetic engineering and biotechnology.

With files from ScienceDaily