A summer reading list is sacred. The books we most want to read gather dust throughout the school year, as we instead lend our eyes to textbooks and research. During our few months of freedom — or at least somewhat less work than the academic year — the opportunity to peruse the pages of books we’ve chosen ourselves is a true pleasure. We at The Varsity certainly can’t wait to rifle through the neglected tomes we’ve been longing for all year. Check out some of the titles that the masthead are planning to pore over this summer.

The Varsity, Vol. 131–3

Joshua Oliver, Editor-in-Chief

This summer I will be reading (at least) The Varsity Vol. 131, 132, and 133. These are the bound volumes of every issue for the last three years. I’m reading them to get context and backstory on the paper and the university, and because I have to. Although a lot of the material is genuinely interesting, the books are tabloid size and weigh at least five pounds each, so they’re not super-portable or easy to read.

The Information by James Gleick

Shaquilla Singh, Design Editor

I love a good historical/pop sci book. I’m also a binge reader so save any book that doesn’t seem easily digestible for the summertime for the sake of my grades.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Carolyn Levett, Photo Editor

I originally read this book when I was ten, and it absolutely terrified me. I want to re-read it, and see if it is as powerful as it was then.

Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay

Zane Schwartz, News Editor

This summer, I’m planning on reading Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay because Chinese history has always been a topic that fascinates me. Also, Kay is a brilliant, lyrical author, who is unparalleled when it comes to historical fantasy.

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Alec Wilson, Comment Editor

Having already tried once and failed ignominiously to engage this giant book I have built up the strength to give it a second shot. Everything I have heard about this leviathan of postmodern writing has me anxious to get started … even if it will mean having to tackle the 300-odd endnotes Wallace has meticulously worked into the narrative. Soul-crushing, complex, and beautiful, I am convinced this will be one of the better reads of my summer.

Suddenly, A Knock on the Door by Etgar Keret

Danielle Klein, Features Editor

Etgar Keret is a master of the micro-story, known also as postcard fiction or short short stories. His collections are quick flashes of narrative, allowing you to digest dozens of surreal tales in one sitting. I’m planning to read his latest publication in bits and pieces over the summer while on planes and trains as I’m traveling around, since it’s the perfect book to pick up and put down in small increments.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Sofia Luu, Arts & Culture Editor

I’m currently reading Murakami’s Kafka on the Shore. It’s a book I bought a few years ago that I never got around to reading. Plus, it’s the only book I brought with me on my trip abroad.

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Katie Vogan, Science Editor

In 2009, a group of bloggers decided to tackle David Foster Wallace’s door-stopper Infinite Jest. Because the book is super-dense and fairly complex, these bloggers decided to create a “support group for readers” as they read the novel. The result was the Infinite Summer project. When I learnt about that project this year, I resolved to to try Infinite Jest myself, with the help of their website. Infinite Summer has been infinitely invaluable in increasing both my enjoyment and understanding of Infinite Jest. I believe that the site is a representation of the supremely cool ways people are using new media and tech to inform and illuminate their consumption of traditional media.

Today I Wrote Nothing by Daniil Kharms

Elizabeth Benn, Sports Editor

Because I’m taking two summer courses and working this summer, I do not have much time to read for pleasure. However, when I do have the chance to read something for fun, I tend to pick up Today I Wrote Nothing, by the surrealist Russian writer, Daniil Kharms, and read an excerpt from it. This book includes short stories, and other brief pieces that mind-boggle with their odd and absurd content.