It’s not everyday that you can describe a ballet as a wantonly carnal affair. Yet the National Ballet’s newest production, Carmen, takes sex to a whole new level.

A contemporary retelling of the traditional French opera, this version follows the story of Carmen, a gypsy intent on living her life as a free spirit and not subscribing to any moral or social code. Acting upon her most basic sexual instincts, she soon becomes entangled in a messy love (or rather, lust) triangle, which ultimately climaxes in tragedy.

Featuring a diverse array of musical numbers, ranging from tear-jerking solos to riotous cross-dressing pieces, Carmen never ceases to entertain. While at times the emotion onstage lags, the ensemble dancing itself is exceptional.

Although the ballet was first performed in 1875, the National Ballet’s timeless adaptation proves that the issues examined are still very much relevant today. Make no mistake; this performance is far from bawdy.

With an altered musical score and fresh choreography that bring a contemporary tone to a traditional dance, Carmen is executed with a refinement and grace that serve to highlight the issue at the heart of this tale: the apparent need in our society to trap and limit female sexuality, resulting in a destructive end for women willing to do anything to preserve their freedom.