If you’re venturing to the scenic University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) campus this year, perhaps you are a new full-time UTM student, or a St. George kid taking an extra course offered from one of our 125 programs. Whatever the case, here’s a quick guide to help you navigate your way through the charming 225 acres of campus that we UTM students fondly call home.

Getting Around

Bus stop outside the William G. Davis building.

Have classes in between Sheridan’s Davis campus and UTM, or just need a quick ride to St. George? If you’re a UTM student, your student card will allow you unlimited transport between all three locations for the Fall/Winter session. As a St. George or Scarborough student, you can buy bus tickets at the Info Booth in the Student Centre or at Hart House. To get around Mississauga in other ways, the bus station in front of the Kaneff Centre allows you to take the 110 South bus to the Clarkson Go Station or the 101 East bus to the Islington subway.

Hanging Out

Eventually, the quiet, idyllic UTM scenery might not do it for you and your pals on a Friday night. Several bus stops away, you’ll find Square One — Mississauga’s largest mall, boasting over 100 stores — with  Playdium, Chapters, and two movie theatres right next door. You can also visit a large assortment of fine dining establishments in this area. Other shopping centres near UTM include the Erin Mills Town Centre and South Common Mall, both of which are also easily accessible by bus.

Hunger Pangs

The Blind Duck pub.

Want to grab some grub before your next class, but not sure where to start? Head to the Temporary Food Court (TFC) in the William G. Davis building for a large variety of munchies — including Booster Juice and Tandoori Indian Cuisine. Not enough time for a sit-down? Snag a hot dog, among other foods, from Mike’s Dog House in front of the Communication, Culture, and Technology (CCT) building. The Instructional Centre (IC)’s Panini Fresco is great while waiting for the St. George shuttle just around the corner. If you’re sticking around for the evening, grab a few friends and head to the Blind Duck, UTM’s official pub, for some food and fun.

Get Your Groove On 

Since its establishment in 2006, the Recreation, Athletic, and Wellness Centre (RAWC) has provided UTM students with a place to work out. Luckily, this facility is open to visiting St. George students as well. While the standard gym amenities are available (a track, a spacious pool, and various machines), many fitness classes are also offered for the less self-motivated, including zumba, kickboxing, and yoga. The meditation class is great for relieving stress and tension. If you’re into team play, look into joining a sports group like the Quidditch Team. For a slower pace, take a stroll on our campus trails and try to spot some deer.

Sweet Study Spots

The Academic Learning Centre.

When all you need is a quiet corner for tomorrow’s exam, the obvious solution would be the Hazel McCallion library, where you’ll find sofas, study carrels, and bookable group-study rooms. (Check out the bookshelves — they can move on their own; it’s magic!) If you want variety or can’t book a study room, various areas around the IC will provide adequate group space, like the front alcove or the second floor. Computer labs can be found across campus — such as those beside the Multimedia Studio Theatre (MiST) at the CCT Building and on the second floor of the IC.

Artsy Fartsy

Get your art on at UTM! Take a gander at the two art galleries found at the Kaneff Centre and the Community Culture and Technology (CCT) building. They host artwork from both UTM art students and professional artists from around the world. Various computer labs on campus host the latest multimedia programs, including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Creative art-related events throughout the year include the Annual Art Festival and plays shown at Theatre Erindale.