Located in East Scarborough, University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) distinguishes itself from its Mississauga and St. George counterparts by its focus on undergraduate education and its unique co-op programs as well as its dual degree-diploma programs with Centennial College. These cover various programs, including Journalism, Microbiology, and Paramedicine. In addition to the many facilities on campus to help students with campus engagement and with academic and career aspirations, there are also many unique locations to see and experience.

Getting in Shape

For athletics and recreation, students use the UTSC gym — comprised of a cardio theatre, a cycle-fit room, a strength and conditioning centre, a gymnasium, a teaching studio, and squash courts. UTSC students also have access to all St. George gym facilities — such as Hart House and the Athletic Centre — at no additional cost as part of their incidental fees.

Student Engagement

The Student Centre

One of the first event many students at UTSC will be exposed to is First Year Orientation. The two groups that primarily lead this multi-day event  are the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) and the Department of Student Life (DSL). SCSU is the official representative of all undergraduate students at UTSC. It operates the Student Centre, own’s the Rex’s Den restaurant on campus, and provides a range of services — such as giving out bursaries and selling discount movie tickets and Metropasses. The union also provides services for faxing, graduation photos, lockers, and photocopying, administers the student Health & Dental plan, and plans large-scale events such as Mosaic and Spring
Formal. The Department of Student Life (DSL) manages student life programming for the International Student Centre, leadership programs, as well as first-year mentorship and community programs. It also hosts many workshops and events, organizes campus student clubs and groups, and provide employment opportunities for students.

Where to Eat

The newly-built Instructional Centre.

On campus, there are many places to eat. In the Student Centre, your options are KFC, Hero Burger, Asian Gourmet, Subway, and Rex’s Den. The newly built Instructional Centre houses La Prep, a cafe with many soup, salad, and sandwich options. In the heart of campus, the H-wing  marketplace has Pizza Pizza, Bene Pasta, Bhoj, Bento Sushi, Spring Rolls, and Grille Works. UTSC also has two Tim Hortons — one located in the Meeting Place and another located in the Academic Resource Centre (ARC) near the library.

Academic and Career Advising

The UTSC library.

The Academic Advising & Career Centre (AACC) offers advice and counsel on academic and career development. It hosts workshops on study skills and on academic and career planning. It also hosts job and graduate school fairs, job shadowing programs, and employment panels. The centre also holds individual appointments with students for career and academic concerns. The UTSC library is the go-to place for all your study needs — from access to computers, softwares, books,  and articles to study space, including group study rooms and individual study carrels. Interlibrary loan services enable students to access material from across the U of T community.

Natural Beauty

Located in the southwestern part of campus, the UTSC Valley is a hidden gem. With picturesque hiking trails, running paths, and the Rouge River cutting through the middle, the valley is a scenic place for students and community members to unwind. If you walk to the absolute edge of the valley, you will get access to the tennis courts, baseball diamond, and two grass fields suitable for soccer, rugby, football, and other play.