U of T rugby has experienced its fair share of problems over the past year. Last year’s overhaul of the university’s varsity sports model had a significant impact on both the men’s and women’s teams. The women’s team was extremely close to losing its status as a Varsity sport, and the men’s team dropped out of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) division. Nevertheless, both teams began this season with increased determination, keen to improve on last year’s record (1-13).

The appointment of Jim Delaney as the new head coach of the men’s rugby program is exciting for the Blues, as he brings with him a wealth of experience. Jim has played to a very high level, and he represented Englind at the under-19s. He is also currently the coach of Rugby Canada’s under 17 development team. Delaney was specifically brought in to help restructure men’s Varsity rugby so that the team can compete in the OUA division in the coming years.

The team is currently treating this season as an opportunity to work on basic skills and physical conditioning. Credit must be given to team alumni and current squad members for assembling a program, which will hopefully see a revival of men’s rugby. The men’s team has already started the season well, with a resounding 24-0 win over Queens’s Gaels.

Third-year Olivia Roberge against the Marauders. MICHAEL CHAHLEY/THE VARISTY

Third-year Olivia Roberge against the McMaster Marauders. MICHAEL CHAHLEY/THE VARISTY

The women’s team has struggled to find its form so far, succumbing to five losses. However, the lack of appropriate facilities makes it difficult to compete against far better-equipped opponents. Coach Gareth Williams was keen to emphasize that, despite the recent difficulties, the team is striving to push on and improve: “This season has been about rebirth. Having come close to losing the program, it’s important to instill a sense of ownership in the varsity athletes which we have worked very hard at,” he said.

The positive attitudes of both players and coaching staff indicate that Blues rugby has a bright future. Improvement in recruitment and training methods should see men’s and women’s rugby progress to a level where they can be competitive and even challenge for honours in their respective divisions.