Smoothies are convenient, easy to make, and a great way to get enough fruits and vegetables in your diet. They are full of of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. In addition, they can also serve as a great pre- or post- workout meal because they can pack in carbohydrates and protein.

It is important to keep in mind that all smoothies are different, and a commercial smoothie may not provide the same nutritional value as something made at home. Many vendors use ingredients from concentrate which can be loaded with sugar, and the actual nutrition value of the fruit is not there.

Green smoothies are becoming increasingly popular and have become new additions to the menu at many commercial places. Although the thought and appearance of green smoothies may not seem appetizing, greens are relatively tasteless and are packed with nutrients. Combined with some fruit, they can make a great smoothie. Green smoothies are great because they provide an easy way to incorporate greens into your diet while on the go, and because they are alkalizing.

Here’s how you can make your own green smoothie:

1. Choose a liquid (2 cups)

• milk (almond, soy, rice, coconut, or dairy)

• coconut water

• water

2. Greens (2 cups)

• spinach or baby kale

3. Fruit (2 cups)

• berries, cherries, grapes, pineapple, pears, mangoes, apples, peaches, oranges, banana, or papaya. I use at least part frozen fruit because it eliminates the need to add ice

4. Healthy Fat (2 tbsp)

• flax seeds, chia seeds, coconut oil, nuts, or nut butters

Optional Add-Ins

• Sweetener (agave, honey, stevia)

• ice cubes

Here is my favorite recipe:

• 2 cups water

• 1 orange

• 1 cup frozen mango

• 2 cup spinach

• 2 tbsp chia seeds

Add ingredients to blender in order listed and blend until desired consistency is achieved.

With files from www.superhealthykids.com