From archery to squash, the Hart House Fitness Centre facility provides many fun fitness options to keep students, faculty, and members of the community healthy. But keeping this 94-year-old facility open 365 days a year is no small task; with almost 500,000 visits just last year, it is no wonder that the Hart House Fitness facility’s manager, Tom Moss, has his hands full.

Although it is clear that Moss loves his job, he does not deny that running the fitness facilities at Hart House “keeps you on your toes.” Even though he has held his position for the last three years, Moss still finds staffing to be one of his biggest daily challenges. From front-line customer service staff to drop-in fitness instructors, it is his responsibility to make sure that every position is filled with knowledgeable personnel.

Students of all fitness levels are found working out at Hart House.

Staffing aside, Moss’s greatest task is keeping a multifaceted athletic facility running  in a space that is almost 100 years old. Unlike the Athletic Centre, every piece of mechanical equipment that goes into the athletic facilities at Hart House has to be retrofitted to accommodate the age of the building.

For example, Moss points out that finding solutions to heat and cool Hart House without changing its structure is no easy task.  Many students who use the basketball court at Hart House do not notice the giant fan above them; this was Moss’s answer to how to cool the area without taking away
from its charm.

Moreover, many students are unaware of the fact that Hart House Fitness has begun to “green” its facilities. Moss mentions that being “healthy for another hundred years” is the Hart House Fitness facility’s new long-term goal. One of the ways in which he plans to do this is by exploring more environmentally friendly heating and cooling methods that expend less energy.

Moss explained that making the environmental change to such an old facility takes a lot of thought. Despite all of the challenges that Hart House’s age brings, Moss believes that the architectural beauty of Hart House adds a unique touch to members’ workout experiences.

Drop-in and scheduled organized sports are offered to students and members on a regular basis.

Another aspect of Hart House Fitness is the tradition of the facility. Moss remarks that there is not a day that he or his staff can remember when they have not been open; the facility is open 365 days a year. Although this poses inconveniences for maintenance of equipment, as the only time that the gym is empty is at night, Moss strongly believes this constant accessibility to the gym is an integral aspect of the facility.

In addition to the multitude of athletic classes that Hart House offers, it also provides an area that members can rent for free. With the variety of organized activities going on, it is not difficult to imagine how scheduling is a huge part of what goes on behind the scenes at Hart House. Moss explains that he treats every area like “its own separate and unique entity,” and considers “what people’s reality is” when he is scheduling the facilities. He tries to make classes jive with as many people’s schedules as possible.

Hart House offers a number of scheduled and drop in fitness classes.

Creating a non-threatening, welcoming vibe is another aspect that goes on behind the scenes of Hart House Fitness. Moss mentions that he and his staff go to great lengths to try to “provide the utmost customer service” to all members of the Hart House community. Moreover, Moss thinks that the fact that there are no varsity teams who have designated training out of Hart House results in people who are not necessarily the most athletic or who might be new to the gym feeling more comfortable using the facilities.

The Hart House Fitness facility is open every day of the year and offers everything from yoga classes to classes that help improve swimming strokes. For many students, Hart House is a great place to embark on their fitness goals. Whether you register for a class, hit the cardio machines, or book a space to rehearse a dance, it is an amazing facility that U of T offers its students.