Coming off a 2–1 win over the Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks on Friday, the University of Toronto Varsity Blues showed up strong to their 5th place consolation game. In the end, the Blues overcame the Laval Rouge et Or in a 2–1 win, proving that they are, as head coach Anthony Capotosto put it, “among the best in the country.”

The match began under less than ideal weather conditions, but the girls pushed through the wind and rain to make the first half of today’s match a thriller.

Laval had an early chance to score in the second minute, but the shot was met with a clean save by goalkeeper Sara Petrucci. After an injury and early substitution, Toronto quickly stepped up their game, putting a spot on Laval’s clean sheet with a free kick in the 27 minute from graduating defender Diana Esteireiro.

The equalizer came in the 35 minute with a picture perfect goal set up by Laval forward Melissande Guy and scored by Laval forward Lea-Chastenay-Joseph.

AARON TAN

AARON TAN/THE VARSITY

As the weather began to clear up, Laval dove headed the second half of the game on the attack. The Rouge et Or had many opportunities to score, but no one could get past Petrucci, who demonstrated swift hands and agility throughout the match.

In the 60 minute, Shaylea Badovonic headed in a cross from team co-captain Aisha Lewis to retake the lead for Toronto, with Laval unable to make up the defecit.

“It means a lot to me to go out on a high,” said Esteireiro. Capotosto praised Estereiro stating that she is “one of a kind,” and irreplaceable.

After ending their season in fifth place, the Blues hope continue their strong play into next season.