Montreal Carabins vs. Alberta Pandas

On Saturday afternoon at 1:30 pm, the Montreal Carabins beat the Alberta Pandas 2–0 in their semi-final game in the CIS women’s soccer championship.

“Montreal asked questions and we didn’t answer,” remarked Pandas’ head coach Liz Jepsen There is no doubt, however, that the former CIS champions put up a fight.

The match started out with the Pandas on the attack, but the Carabins counterattacked quickly, putting the game in a 70 minute deadlock which consisted of strong defense and fancy footwork from both teams.

A break finally came in the 65 minute when Montreal forward Virginie Labossiere scored, assisted by defender Steffy Roy-Ouellet. Three minutes later Carabins’ midfielder Constance De Chantal Dumont scored her first goal of the season, and the goal that would secure Montreal’s spot in Sunday’s final.

On Sunday, the Pandas will face the Cape Breton Capers in the bronze medal match at 1:30 pm, and the Carabins will compete for the title of national champions against the Trinity Western Spartans at 4:30.

Trinity Western Spartans vs. Cape Breton Capers

Saturday’s semi-final match between the Trinity Western Spartans and Cape Breton Capers can only be described as a duel, fueled by a desire to reach the finals. Ultimately, the Spartans clinched the spot in Sunday’s final with a 1–0 win over the Capers.

The match began with both sides on the attack, evident by the number of fouls made by both sides. The only goal of the match would be delivered by Spartans’ midfielder Natalie Boyd in the 40 minute.

Many more opportunities came for the Spartans later in the match to add onto their lead, but Capers’ goalkeeper Tiffany O’Donnell was not fazed by the Spartans’ strong offence. O’Donnell held her own, saving four of the five shots on goal. The Spartans dominated the ball and shots for the majority of the match, but along with O’Donnell’s incredible goalkeeping, the Capers’ defense remained strong.

The Spartans will face the Montreal Carabins in Sunday’s final game, and the Capers will face the Alberta Pandas in the bronze medal game.