University of Toronto Art Centre 

The University of Toronto Art Centre is located on the ground floor, at the south end of the University College Building. If you’ve had any classes at UC, you’ve probably seen it at one point or another, but it’s well worth a visit. Tuesday to Saturday from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm,  students can see various exhibits free of charge. The gallery is currently hosting The Shelley Peterson Student Art Exhibition, which features the work of U of T undergraduate arts students. If you want to be blown away by the work of your peers, the UTAC is the place to do it, and it can provide a welcome study break for those slaving away in Laidlaw library overhead.

Eric Arthur Gallery

230 College Street

The John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design is located on College Street, just west of the Koffler Centre and the bookstore. It’s home to one of UTSG’s little known gallery gems, the Eric Arthur Gallery. The gallery consists of three spaces, which aim to present exhibitions of architecture and urban design.  It’s an excellent campus space and great for those who are interested in urban planning and contemporary structural work. Admission is free, and the gallery is open from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm for both students and the general public.

Art Gallery of Ontario 

317 Dundas Street West

If you haven’t been to the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) yet, it’s about time you did. The museum stretches a city block on Dundas Street West, between McCaul Street and Beverley Street and is free for general admission 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm on Wednesdays. The art giant makes for a Wednesday break with friends or an interesting first date. It is home to 80,000 works of art from across nearly 20 centuries. Beyond the staggering number of works housed within the gallery, the architecture of the building is well worth soaking up. The 2004 Frank Gehry renovation created the impressive wooden spiral stairwell and the glass and wood Galleria Italia with its 180 metres of floor-to-ceiling windows. The AGO is a must-see for any campus gallery-hopper, and an excellent starting point before moving on to smaller independent fare.

Gardiner Museum

ClareScott092

111 Queen’s Park

The Gardiner Museum is something most students walk past on a regular basis, tucked next to Victoria College’s Annesley residence and directly across from the ROM. It’s free every Tuesday with valid student ID. The collection is small enough that it can be tackled in an hour or two in between classes. The gallery is frequently rented out for various events and parties, in part because of its light, open atmosphere and high vaulted ceilings.  Take a sunny afternoon and stroll through the 3,000-plus collection of ceramic art, which features pieces from across the world.

Le gallery 

1183 Dundas Street West

If you’ve had your fill of the ago and are looking for an independent gallery to tackle, wander down to the LE Gallery, a half-hour walk or a quick streetcar ride away. LE focuses on up-and-coming artists on the Toronto scene and features enough mediums to have something for everyone. The small gallery space showcases sculptures, paintings, and installations — all side-by-side in the intimate space. Often the home of art openings or small private events in the evening, LE is the perfect place for a quick afternoon gallery pit stop — and there’s plenty of great coffee and shopping nearby when you’re done.

The Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (MOCCA)

952 Queen Street West

The Trinity-Bellwoods section of Queen West is rife with art galleries of all different shapes and sizes. A 20-minute walk along the stretch will provide any art buff with ample opportunities for browsing. One of the highlights is the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (MOCCA). The museum was founded by the Art Gallery of North York, and made its way over to Queen West in the early 2000s. MOCCA’s mandate is to promote innovative Canadian work, and it doesn’t disappoint. Make your way through the large open Main Space to the smaller Project Room and make sure to check out the courtyard (Canadian weather permitting).  Currently MOCCA is featuring Misled by Nature: Contemporary Art and the Baroque, which shows contemporary works that draw upon aspects of the historical Baroque in the construction of emotive environments. Best of all, thanks to the funding of the RBC Foundation, admission to MOCCA is pay-what-you-can. The gallery is open Tuesday to Sunday from 11:00 am–6:00 pm.

Stephen Bulger Gallery

1026 Queen Street West

If you’re looking for a great photography gallery on the Queen West strip, the Stephen Bulger Gallery is one of your best bets. The small brick façade of the building is deceptively simple, as the gallery’s interiors features compelling contemporary and historical photographs. The gallery is currently showing Sarah Anne Johnson’s collection, Wonderlust, which addresses the psychology and physicality of intimacy. In Johnson’s own words: “Some of these images represent desires for romance, ecstasy, and emotional connection, while others depict boredom, self doubt, and personal disappointment.” Johnson’s work has been showcased in the Guggenheim, The National Gallery of Canada, and the AGO, and is not to be missed.