The Head and the Heart are strumming their way to Toronto in March after a successful launch of their second album Let’s Be Still.

The Varsity sat down with Jonathan Russell of the Seattle-based indie folk-rock band to discuss playing for different crowds, the writing process, and goals for the future.

The Varsity: What is the story behind your band’s name?

Jonathan Russell: That was Josiah’s idea. At the time he was in grad school, and realizing that music was his real passion, he had to make the decision to choose one or the other. His parents thought it was a terrible idea, and were less than pleased to see him drop out of school to start a band with his best friend. For Josiah, the choice was like using your brain versus your heart — what makes sense, over what doesn’t.

TV: How did you differ creatively from the time of writing the first album to the second album?

JR: All of the touring from the first album really did change the way we wrote together. After being together for all that time, the last thing you want to do is call your band mate and say, ‘I know I just saw you for 10 months, but want to hang out?’ All of the songs were finished individually on the second record, compared to the first where we would mash our parts together. As touring continues, you get better at your craft.

TV: Who are some of your musical influences? 

JR: I went through a phase when I didn’t listen to pop music; anything popular was unbearable to hear. Things become predictable, and it’s not fair to listen to music and become so jaded. I personally delved into jazz, such as Miles Davis. It was so different, so radical, so challenging, and so refreshing for me to hear and figure out. I got really into jazz because I had no idea what the hell was going on.

TV: With so many great bands that you’ve opened for, and now your own repertoire of touring as a headline artist, what would you say was your best or most memorable tour experience?

JR: My personal favourite was touring with My Morning Jacket, primarily because I love their music. Their music was live; it’s huge, it’s rock and roll, it’s sexy, it’s challenging. Jim James is a great performer and I took the most from that tour. The point is to get weird, use the stage, and think, “fuck it, I can do whatever I want.”

TV: How does touring and performing in North America differ from shows in Europe, Australia, etc.? Are the crowds different?

JR: In America, you feel if people are connecting or not through physical movement. We used that as a barometer for how well the show is going, but in Europe, it’s a cultural faux pas to be physically over the top. We had to adjust to audiences being reserved, who are super enthusiastic after the show. I’ve seen Atlanta, Georgia have the most rowdy southern crowds, and then Holland, where it seems like people are waiting for you to impress them.

TV: If you weren’t in The Head and the Heart, what would you be doing?

JR: If I wasn’t in this band, I would be serving drinks, burgers, and playing in my off time, doing the same thing I was doing three years ago. I’ve always wanted to be a sociologist or psychologist though; I have a very analytical brain. If I wasn’t using that obsession through songwriting, I would probably go back to school.

TV: With several successful years under your belt, is there any place or goal that you all wish to achieve within the next five years?

JR: On a personal level, my main goal would be to buy my mom a house; she lives alone in the country around cows. In terms of further contributing, I feel like I was lucky to make it through the education maze, and have this soft spot for critical, at-risk kids. I want to find these kids before they start rejecting school altogether. Knowing they have a voice, I think that’s huge. There are a lot of confused kids that are willing to throw in the towel too soon — they need to see someone they can relate to.