Whether it’s upbeat pop for a backyard barbecue, a mellow road trip playlist, or a karaoke rendition of Grease’s “Summer Nights” accompanied by friends and a little too much sangria, some songs just sound like summer. With leaves budding on the Toronto trees, the time has come to crawl out of hibernation, trade in the sweaters for shorts, and embrace the sunshine and the music that make us feel like we’re walking on it. Check out this year’s new masthead’s compilation of summertime favourites that we’ll be blasting from The Varsity’s offices for the next four months.

Danielle Klein, Editor-in-Chief

“To The Top” — Twin Shadow
Surely I’m not the only one who spends every day wishing, hoping, and praying that today will be the day that the 80’s power ballad makes its triumphant return to mainstream popularity? Twin Shadow, at least, seems to agree with me, with the new single “To The Top.” It’s a passionate jam for evening jogs (or tearful confessions) this summer.

“Guy Like You”Bleached
Bleached reminds me of Beach House — that dreamy pop sound that always makes me think of sunglasses, meadows, and denim shorts. Accompanied by a music video that’s too hip to quit and featuring cats (of course), “Guy Like You” is an ideal track for laying out and tanning.

Shaquilla Singh, Managing Online Editor

“Rumble” — Kelis
Food — Kelis’s most recent album — took me by surprise because it’s a huge departure from her “Milkshake” days. I’ve always been a fan, but this album is definitely my favourite. To emphasize the degree of my obsession, I’m going to reveal that, since the drop, Kelis has made it into my top five most played artists of all time on iTunes. Though far behind Kanye and Haim, she still sits at a respectable fifth place — which is impressive, given the fact that the album has only been out for a few weeks.

“Hulahoop”Weaves
The first time I heard this song, and the entire EP, I was really impressed. I then found out that the band is from Toronto which took my love to another level. I can’t and won’t stop listening any time soon.

Catherine Virelli, Production Manager

“Someone to Love” — Stephen Marley
This is a bonus track off of Stephen Marley’s album Mind Control. I love the entire album. Also listen to “Chase Dem” and his cover of Ray Charles’s “Lonely Avenue.”

“There Is A Light That Never Goes Out”The Smiths
This song was the first I’d ever heard of The Smiths, and it remains one of my favourites. I also love the Dum Dum Girls’ cover of it. Also listen to “Barbarism Begins at Home” and “Bigmouth Strikes Again.”

Jamieson Wang, Video Editor

“Victor” — Prinze George
I found Prinze George on a new favourite playlist on Songza. They’re a new group that have been raved about in the music blog scene. I’m looking forward to the music they’ll produce in the future.

“Pretty Thing”Broods
Broods is also a recent discovery. I had the pleasure of seeing the band perform live at the Drake Underground for Canadian Music Week — it was a great show.

Lucy Genua, Senior Copy Editor

“Mellow Mood” — Bob Marley and the Wailers
I’d describe this as a sweet and sultry summer song. It’s inarguably good for the beach, but I listen to it all the time.

“The Ghost of Tom Joad”Junip
This song always ends up on my long drive playlist, and summer is the time for road trips. I prefer Junip’s smoother cover to Bruce Springsteen’s original folk version.

Rose Tornabene, Senior Copy Editor

“Santa Fe” — Beirut
I’ve been listening to “Santa Fe” from Beirut’s album, The Rip Tide, basically non-stop since January, in anticipation of warmer weather. For some reason, the song just reminds me of sun — maybe the beach-themed music video has something to do with it.

“Sheezus”Lily Allen
After Lily Allen said she had no plans to make another album, I never thought I would hear new music from the woman who nurtured me through my preteen angst. Five years later, her album Sheezus — released last month — could not have been more satisfying. The title track perfectly captures Allen’s re-emergence in the music industry. In the last two verses she sings: “I am born again, now run along and tell/All of your friends to come and join us,” and that is exactly what I am doing.

James Flynn, News Editor

“Another Part of Me” — Michael Jackson
I’ve always been a big Michael Jackson fan, and this song is no exception. Whenever I need inspiration, I immediately turn to this song.

“#88”Lo-Fang
I first saw Lo-Fang open at a Lorde concert in March, and was hooked. He has a unique sound, and he uses the violin very skillfully. I’m currently learning how to play violin.

Alec Wilson, Comment Editor

“Wordless Chorus” — My Morning Jacket
A friend introduced me to My Morning Jacket last year when I returned home for the summer. I have fond memories of walking in the sun with “Wordless Chorus” as background music. Every time I hear this song, I am drawn back to a simpler, mellower time, complete with birds chirping — you get the picture.

“Feel Like We Only Go Backwards”Tame Impala
Tame Impala’s “Feels like We Only Go Backwards” is perhaps a more curious choice, given that it’s definitely a more melancholy vibe. I have never been much for summer “bangerz” as it were, and so I find the slow, pensive pace of this track to be a little bit more my summer speed. It is a time to reflect and recharge, and what better way to do that than with Australian psychedelic rock and some cold (read: alcoholic) beverages?

Samantha Relich, Features Editor

“My Silver Lining” — First Aid Kit
Perhaps my favourite thing about summer is spending lazy days lounging in the sun with a good book — and “My Silver Lining” is a cornerstone of my summer reading playlist. The indie-folk vibe of the sisters’ latest single, to me, embodies summer — and it’s just energetic enough to prevent those unsuspected outdoor naps and the accompanying lobster-red sunburn.

“College” Rogue Wave
This song is simply addictive. Whether it’s the jangling, melodic guitar, the catchy chorus, or the cryptic lyrics hinting at a journey of self-discovery, this track always leaves me with the inclination to take off on a summer adventure.

Sarah Niedoba, Arts & Culture Editor

“Feels Like We Only Go Backwards” — Arctic Monkeys
My fourteen-year-old self would have proudly told you that I was “the biggest Arctic Monkeys fan ever.” While that statement is now a bit outdated, I’ve still been listening to Alex Turner’s cover of Tame Impala’s “Feels like We Only Go Backwards” pretty much non-stop.

“Stay Don’t Go”Spoon
Nostalgia seems to be dominating my summer playlist so far. Learning that Spoon, another band I’ve loved since high school, is headlining NXNE was some of the best news I’ve had all year. “Stay Don’t Go” makes for excellent listening during a walk around summertime Toronto.

Jasleen Arneja, Science Editor

“Traces Of You” — Anoushka Shankar ft. Norah Jones
Anoushka Shankar and Norah Jones are stepsisters — daughters of Indian sitar virtuoso, Ravi Shankar, they are both uniquely talented. The song “Traces of You” has a light, summer vibe to it, incorporating a sitar and tabla background — ubiquitous in Indian classical music — to create the quintessence of fusion.

“Million Dollar Dream”Iggy Azalea ft. Sukhwinder Singh, music by AR Rahman
This new song from Disney’s Million Dollar Arm (which I am looking forward to) is upbeat and cheerful. Iggy Azalea is always great, and when combined with wonderful music by AR Rahman — the mastermind behind “Jai Ho” — the song is a must-have on my summer playlist.

Elizabeth Benn, Sports Editor

“Drunk On You” — Luke Bryan
Rather than hopping on the seasonal bandwagon and whiling my summer away with popular hits sung by Disney kids gone wild, I’ve come out to finally admit that I’ll be jumping on a wooden wagon, in a plaid, un-ironed button-down. I’m finally embracing my inner country girl and freely and openly listening to country, starting with Luke Bryan.

“It Goes Like This”Thomas Rhett
There’s something about the simple lyrics and easy rhythm of this song that seems to suit days in the summer sun. My playlist will finish with Thomas Rhett, and I’m happy to say that I’ll be pushing aside all top forty auto-tuned electro-pop.

Kawmadie Karunanayake, Design Editor

“This Head I Hold” — Electric Guest
I only recently discovered Electric Guest, and this song is great to bounce along with. It’s also a great accompaniment for taking walks around pretty places — which, for me, is what summer is all about.

“Sunday Morning”The Velvet Underground
I picked this song because it’s perfect for lazy summer afternoons. I can always go back to this song and experience a feeling of blissful relaxation.

Mari Zhou, Design Editor

“Call It Fate, Call It Karma” — The Strokes
My favourite part about this Strokes song is me singing along with it. Despite a full course load in the summer and impeding graduation, these songs, as well as the warm weather, put me at ease.

“XO”Beyoncé
Beyoncé needs no elaboration.

Jennifer Su, Photo Editor

“A Dream Of You and Me” — Future Islands
Future Islands is my favourite band. This song, one of the band’s latest singles, is a lot more mellow than most of their other songs and is perfectly suited for the hazy, wistful days of summer. I saw them perform in November, and it was the best concert I’ve ever been to. They’re playing at NXNE this year and I definitely recommend seeing them — Sam Herring’s infamous dancing and growling are not to be missed!

“My Kind Of Woman” Mac DeMarco
Mac DeMarco’s surf rock-esque melodies are always well-suited for summer listening. I chose this song in particular for its earnest, love-infected singing — and maybe for its music video too.

Julien Balbontin, Illustrations Editor

“Romantic Rights” — Death From Above 1979
I often sleep while taking public transportation — it’s a really bad habit, I know. However, with this song, I’m sure I’ll be able to stay awake while commuting all over the city this summer.

“Don’t Mess With Me” Brody Dalle
I’ll need all the musical jet fuel I can get this summer. Hopefully, I’ll have a productive break, and this song will give me the energy as I attend summer school, hang out with friends, and draw endlessly.