Charity runs and walks bring out the best in a city — they mobilize volunteers by the thousands, promote healthy lifestyles among participants, and raise millions for a variety of charitable organizations. Toronto will host many races this season after this past weekend’s Walk of Life, which supported cardiac rehabilitation programs. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it includes many of the charity walks and runs offered this summer in the city.

Colour Me Rad — 5K
May 31
, Registration fee: $55

Colour Me Rad is one of the coolest charity runs to watch. Runners begin the race in plain, white clothing and are periodically “blasted” with different coloured corn starch, dying their clothing and skin in bright hues. The run is in support of Big Brothers Big Sisters Toronto and takes place in Downsview Park.

Walk Now for Autism Speaks Canada — 3K
June 8, 
Free

This 3K walk begins and ends at Nathan Philips Square. Donations support autism research and those affected by autism. The walk is sponsored by Toys ‘R’ Us, and includes play zones for children.

Gutsy Walk for Crohn’s and Colitis — 5K
June 8, 
Free
This 5K walk put on by Crohn’s and Colitis Canada takes place in Sunnybrook Park. All donations go towards their efforts to support those with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis,and to fund research to cure both.

Scotiabank Rat Race for United Way — 5K
June 12, 
Registration fee: $100
This event is a 5K run beginning and ending at Nathan Philips Square in support of the community work done by United Way. Competitors are encouraged to dress in rat costume.

Relay for Life 2014
June 13–14
 Registration fee: $100
The annual overnight Relay for Life takes place from 7PM to 7AM in Sunnybrook Park, with team members taking turns walking laps in support of Sunnybrook’s Odette Cancer Centre.

Toronto Pearson Runway Run — 2K/5K
June 14, 
Registration fee: Prices vary.
Participants can run 5K or walk 2K on the Toronto Pearson airport tarmac. The run supports the airport’s Community Investment Program, which, in turn, contributes to a variety of community development programs.

Pride and Remembrance Run — 3K/5K
June 28, 
Registration fee: $40 before June 15, $45 after June 15
Participants have the option to run 5K or walk 3K in support of LGBTQ causes. Notable beneficiaries this year include Egale Canada Human Rights Trust, who will use donations to create a LGBT Youth Suicide Prevention Toolkit, and Fife House, which helps provide those living with HIV/AIDS in Toronto with safe and affordable housing.

Beaches Tune Up Jazz Run — 5K/10K/20K
July 27, 
Registration fee: $30
Featuring routes of varying lengths, participants walk or run along the Martin Goodman Trail, with the start and finish point at Kew Gardens. The Jazz Run is in support of patient care at Toronto East General Hospital, with $20 of the $30 entry fee going directly to the Beaches Rotary Club, in support of the Toronto East General Hospital Campaign.

A Midsummer Night’s Run — 5K/15K/30K
August 16, 
Registration fee: Prices vary.
A Midsummer Night’s Run is both a road race and family fun run that takes place in the Beaches neighbourhood along the Lake Ontario waterfront. The run is in support of the Division of Rheumatology at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.

Toronto Womens’ Run Series — 5K/10K
August 23, 
Registration fee: Prices vary.
Taking place in Sunnybrook Park, a portion of this Toronto Womens’ Run Series race’s proceeds go to POGO, the Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario, which strives to improve the lives of children who are battling cancer.