For today’s youth, thoughts of the future are often less than inspiring. As a student of the environment, the future is always on my mind: what can we make of ocean systems collapsing, the loss of hundreds of hectares of rainforest daily, and global climate change? For that matter, how should students feel about the waning utility of an undergraduate education, dwindling job prospects, prolonged adolescence, unpaid internships, and student debt? Despite all this pressure, our generation is still expected to somehow one day be able to pay off a mortgage and start a family.

All this personal stress is in addition to our increasing awareness of issues of global inequality, the erosion of political participation and basic human rights, as well as the rise of the surveillance state in the West. The extremity of these problems is overwhelming and understandably causes many to engage in activities that distract from reality, such as watching TV, using drugs, or shopping.

I am by no means innocent when it comes to indulging in these distractions. The prospect of labouring through 18 or more years of inconsistently engaging education before finding a 9–5 job in hopes of eventually rising through the ranks and scrimping enough for retirement fills the hearts of many of today’s young people with dread. If anything about this model is going to change, youth will have to take action into their own hands.

One may feel torn between choosing to pursue social change and finding security in life. I have come across a lifestyle that provides both. It has many different titles, but can be generally termed as “intentional communities.” This trend has had many fluctuations in recent history and is gaining traction once again, particularly among young people. The Valhalla Movement, started in part by students from McGill University, is an example of a socially and environmentally conscious alternative lifestyle that some find fulfilling, releasing them from reliance on society’s failing institutions. This community is building infrastructure that will allow them to be self-sufficient, such as growing their own food and creating their own electricity. This is demanding, but allows participants to actively resist the current socio-economic system while promoting social and environmental sustainability.

Attaining the necessities of life pays out better in the long-term in an intentional community. Building solar panels — like the Dalhousie University based group If You Build It — can free you from energy bills. Building a house is cheaper and less time-consuming than getting a mortgage, which one can spend their whole life working to pay off. Using a well and living within your watershed negates the need to pay hydro bills.

In intentional communities, free time can be spent engaging in meaningful activities, such as building strong relationships, learning, and creating art. There is more time to pursue your passions without the pressure of attempting to make them profitable. Alternatively, people who are trying to work within the system often have little time or energy for things that bring them fulfillment because of their commitment to a job.

Some people find jobs that are truly fulfilling and well-paid — but it’s increasingly cumbersome to do so. Intentional communities can empower young people and help them break free from the chains of debt, the 9–5 grind, and leading an unfulfilling life.

Karlis Hawkins is a third-year student at Trinity College majoring in geography and environmental studies, with a minor in political science