It can be intimidating trying to navigate the Toronto food scene, especially when it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables. We know that we should try to eat sustainably, but what that means is unclear, as is how to achieve it. What’s the best place to get ethical produce, and can students even afford to shop there? Vegetarians in the city can find it especially difficult to find affordable food that fits into their diets.

YamChops, recently opened at College and Montrose, is a vegetarian butcher shop. YamChops provides smiling service and an array of unique and convenient prepared vegetarian options. Conceived and owned by Michael and Toni Abramson and assisted by their daughters, Jess and Leya, the store is a sparkling effort that has enticed many foodies and curious passersby in its first month.

Seeing a gap in the vegetarian prepared foods market, the Abramsons decided to create an alternative to the traditional butcher shop. Their instinct was clearly on point, as the small store has garnered much attention, including features in The Globe and Mail, in the Toronto Star, and on CBC. It’s the sort of media attention the retired advertising executives, Michael and Toni, would have aspired to for any of their clients. Michael said with a smile on his face: “It’s been crazy; it’s humbling.”

Michael describes the venture as his “little red sports car.” The store was meant to be a passionate hobby for his retirement, but with all of the attention and success, his goals have “sort of changed.” YamChops has had 79 unique requests from around the world to open up stores in places such as the United States, Scotland, Israel, and Greece. Even with their decades of experience in marketing, the Abramsons were surprised by the “bigger demand” for a vegetarian butcher than they “could have guessed or hop[ed].”

According to Jess Abramson, the most popular items have been the tuna-less tuna and the beet burgers. Both items are in such high demand that YamChops has been having difficulties keeping them in stock. Jess attributes the success of these items to people missing the flavour and texture of comfort food staples. While the deli counter options might not fool a meat-lover, they are easy and healthy alternatives to traditional barbecue fare.

Upon a taste test, the tuna-less tuna — made with chickpeas — has a similar flavour profile and texture to tuna without the fishy taste. Other deli items include: chick*n shawarma, which tastes a bit under-spiced to me, but would fry up well on the barbecue; carrot lox, which, paired with a vegan cashew sour cream has the smoky flavour of lox but with a crunchy, rather than rubbery, texture; and the no-pork pulled pork, which is essentially a coleslaw with barbecue flavouring.

As the shop is only a month old, some tweaking of products and recipes is sure to come, but the deli counter currently provides a large variety of options, from vegetarian sausages to vegan bacon bits to simple salads. The price points might be a bit over-budget for students looking to save on groceries, but shopping occasionally at YamChops could be a healthy, fun alternative to eating out.

The cold-pressed juices and juice cleanses, created by Jess Abramson and cleverly named AuJus, address the popular juice trend hitting the GTA and particularly appeal to those with raw and vegan diets. The large portions and well-chosen flavours are refreshing and come with names like Pineapple Express and Salad Days. While the price tag may seem exorbitant, there are up to two pounds of fresh produce in every bottle.

What is most striking about the store is how cleverly it’s been designed and branded. By presenting their deli counter as a vegetarian butcher, YamChops has created a market that barely existed before. Many of their customers are curious omnivores who wander in and are surprised by the meatless versions of their old favourites, in addition to vegans and vegetarians who want to try something fun and easy. With clever names for their food items and presentation that evokes familiarity, YamChops has created a new genre of food on the crowded Toronto food scene. Whether the vegetarian butcher trend catches on is yet to be seen. For a family-run retirement passion, YamChops is already a success story beyond the Abramsons’ imaginations.