University of Toronto Libraries (UTL) has selected YBP Library Services, the academic division of global distributor Baker & Taylor, as its primary supplier of academic titles published in the United States and the United Kingdom.

“The University of Toronto Libraries, one of the largest research libraries in North America and the largest library in Canada, selected YBP to provide… books in print and digital formats appropriate to a large research library. YBP will provide comprehensive approval plans for United States, United Kingdom and Ireland imprints based on the disciplines and subjects taught at the University of Toronto,” UTL stated in a media release.

Ingram, the previous supplier, was replaced by YBP in conjunction with the university’s procurement policy.

According to Caitlin Tillman, associate chief librarian for collections and materials management, there will be no changes in UTL staffing as a result of the transaction.

UTL has contracted vendors to procure academic titles since the 1970s.

The transaction occurred pursuant to Ontario’s Broader Public Sector (BPS) Procurement Directive, effective April 1, 2011, which governs the purchase of goods using public funds by broader public sector organizations.

The BPS Procurement Directive replaced the University of Toronto Purchasing Policy of 1995.

Section III of the BPS Supply Chain of Ethics stipulates: “Individuals should continuously work to improve supply chain policies and procedures, to improve their supply chain knowledge and skill levels and to share leading practices.”

In 2012, the new Ontario Expense and Procurement Directives set out a clear definition of a consultant, or consulting service. As a BPS organization, U of T must comply with this new directive.

Consultant fees exceeding $100,000 must go through a full competitive procurement process, such as a request for proposal.

“The mission of the University of Toronto Libraries, one of the leading research libraries in the world, is to foster the search for knowledge and understanding in the University and the wider community. YBP Library Services is honored to have been selected as the libraries’ primary supplier of academic scholarly monographs in support of their mission,” said Mark Kendall, senior vice president of sales and operations at YBP, as quoted in the media release

YBP, which is based in Contoocook, New Hampshire, provides digital and print content to academic, research, and special libraries globally, in addition to collection management and technical services to their clients.

“Our partnership is designed to ensure the delivery of innovative services that meet and exceed the needs of the University of Toronto patrons and community, today and in the future,” said Kendall.

“The University of Toronto Libraries is committed to purchasing important scholarly monographs in both print and electronic form and will do so on our own and, increasingly, as part of collaborative groups,” said Tillman, as quoted in the media release.

“YBP will be an important partner in helping to streamline and manage complex workflows as we continue to build comprehensive collections that meet both the current and future needs of our faculty and students,” she added.

UTL consists of 44 libraries on three campuses, with a collection of more than 12 million print volumes in 341 languages and access to millions of electronic resources in various forms. UTL acquires more than 150,000 new print volumes each year.