Established in 2003, the University of Toronto Sailing Club endeavours to uphold U of T’s history of water sport excellence by “providing sailing opportunities for experienced and beginners sailors at Canada’s largest university,” as stated on the club’s website.

The club, led by president Sarah Domino, runs two sailing programs: a competitive program for experienced sailors, based out of Coronation Park’s National Yacht Club, and a recreational program for beginners, based at Harbourfront Centre on Queens Quay.

For experienced sailors, the U of T Sailing Club is among Canada’s best university sailing clubs, boasting membership in both the Canadian Intercollegiate Sailing Association and the Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association. These memberships allow the U of T sailing club race team to compete regularly against both Canadian and American squads, attending regattas on both sides of the border. 

Last September, the squad travelled to Ithaca, New York, and took part in Cornell University’s famous regatta. 

Conscious of the time constraints that many U of T students face, the race team practices twice weekly, with additional training times available for those who can find the time.

The recreational program is offered in three-hour sessions on weekends and is meant for beginner sailors. Licensed instructors teach students how to operate keelboats in a safe and fun environment, with students generally spending a year or two in the program before they are confident enough in their abilities to sail without a teacher. They then have the option of trying out for the race team.

Anyone wishing to learn more about the sailing club can visit their website at sailingclub.sa.utoronto.ca