The Nspire Innovation Network is Canada’s largest student-run non-profit organization in the business and technology sector, operating on 15 campuses across Canada. On Tuesday, September 23, Nspire will be hosting the first event of their monthly Discovery Series (DS).

“We operate as a platform for students to connect and network with professionals who can give them an idea as to the skillset necessary to work in industry, and to succeed as an entrepreneur,” said Govind Peringod, the managing director of DS Toronto and a third-year Engineering Science student.

“This year, we want to focus on the student’s journey of self-discovery,” said Peringod. “We have a multitude of very interactive events focused on getting students to think about what they’re doing, why they’re doing it, and aligning their goals with their path,” he added. 

The group is hoping to set the tone for what they want to achieve during the year with a comprehensive introduction to the world of mobile development. “We aim to give [students] a sense to what the industry is like, as well as provide some tangible opportunities for advancement for all sorts of people,” said Peringod.

The event features a keynote address delivered by Nahim Nasser, the Vice President of Engineering at BNotions, followed by several interactive demonstrations. The most exciting of the demonstrations to be featured is an integration between Tesla, Android Wear, and Google Glass.

Ananya Tandon-Verma, the president of the Nspire Innovation Network said, “Our three main goals are to connect, empower, and inspire students.” 

“We help students connect to like-minded peers, to organizations and think-tanks who could foster their ideas, and to both large companies and start-ups who could help their idea come to fruition,” said Tandon-Verma. “We empower them with the skillset necessary to take the leap between ideation and execution, and finally we inspire them to achieve what they never thought possible,” she added.

“The sun’s rays are normally too diffuse to do anything, but if you focus them with a magnifying glass, you can burn paper,” said Peringod. “We want to be the magnifying glass that provides students with the laser-focus necessary to be leaders and innovators in whatever they wish to achieve.”