The Varsity Blues men’s lacrosse team had a rough start to their season after suffering a close loss to the Queen’s Gaels in an exhibition game at the beginning of the month. 

Attacker Michael Buwalda shone in the opening match, managing to place the Blues in the lead heading into the fourth quarter of that game. AJ Masson and Jordan Robertson helped to equalize the score, but the Blues were unable to pull through, resulting in a 11–10 loss in overtime.

The following week, the Blues went up against the Laurentian Voyageurs. Despite putting up a great fight, the Blues faced their second loss of the season with a final score of 15–10.

All hope was not lost. The following game against the Nippissing Lakers was a huge success for the Blues, who finished the game with a 19–11 win. Both Robertson and Buwalda delivered phenomenal performances, placing the Blues in fourth in the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association (CUFLA) west division.

On September 17, the Blues lost to the McMaster Marauders with a final score of 12–10. The game started off strong, with the Blues scoring four goals in just the first quarter by Masson, Robertson, Buwalda, and McKegney. Unfortunately, they were unable to hold onto this lead in the second quarter. 

This past Saturday, September 27, the team defeated the Laurentian Voyageurs in a strong 17–9 win in front of home fans, bringing their season record up to 3–2 with six games left in the regular season.

Despite the losses that the Blues have incurred this season, they have enjoyed some successes. The overall team performance has been commendable, and there are a number of key players who continue to dominate the field. 

Last Monday, September 23, Jordan Robertson was drafted by the Toronto Rock in the fifth round of the 2014 National Lacrosse League entry draft. Robertson’s selection does not come as much of a surprise, considering that he started the season at 15 points in only three games. Robertson was named a CUFLA all-Canadian for his performance in the 2012 season.

This announcement comes at a crucial time for the Blues, hopefully reinvesting faith in their team, despite the few losses of the season. The Blues will go head-to-head against the Western Mustangs in two consecutive matches this Friday, October 3, and Sunday, October 5.