The University of Toronto Varsity Blues women’s hockey team hosted the Ryerson Rams Saturday afternoon for its home opener and defeated the Rams 2–0 in a defensive battle.

The first and second periods saw the Blues control the bulk of the play, but the Rams’ defense did an excellent job of limiting high-quality scoring chances by keeping Toronto’s forwards to the outside and collapsing to the centre of the ice when under attack.

Of particular note in the first two periods was the play of rookie forward Becki Bowering, who came very close to breaking the deadlock nine minutes in, firing the puck just over the Ryerson goal. Bowering didn’t look at all out of place in her first Ontario University Athletics game and should complement a very deep offense.

Fans will also be glad to hear that fan favourite Kristi Riseley has been promoted to the top line, something which goaltender Nicole Kesteris believes she has more than earned: “[Riseley] works her butt off every shift of every game, and she really deserves it,” she said.

Early in the third period, it seemed as though the Blues might never catch a break, especially after Rams goaltender Alex Armstrong robbed Toronto’s electrifying Jacqueline Scheffel on a 2-on-0 in the opening minutes. The Blues kept pushing, however, and star forward Sonja Weidenfelder ultimately managed to solve Armstrong on a power play just under four minutes into the frame.

Veteran defender Stacey Oue blasted a point shot just wide of the Ryerson keeper, and the puck bounced off the backboards to Weidenfelder, who put the puck top-corner past a sprawling Armstrong.

The Blues added another power play goal four minutes later following some nice cycling of the puck by playoff heroes Courtney Brind’Amour-McClure, Alie Brind’Amour-McClure, and Amanda Ricker. Ricker cut to the goal and was stopped point-blank by Armstrong’s outstretched pad, but the rebound went right to Alie, who blasted the puck past the Ryerson goaltender.

The Rams pressured the Blues in the final minutes, but Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) first team all-Canadian Kesteris rose to the challenge and shut down Ryerson’s snipers to secure the 2–0 victory and a shutout. Kesteris has long played a big leadership role with the team and was rewarded by being named captain for what will be her final season of CIS hockey.

Kesteris had never been a captain before, but noted that she has always liked to lead and, when congratulated, was quick to point out that the team has no lack of leadership beyond her.

The Blues’ next home game is Saturday afternoon at 4:00 pm against the Guelph Gryphons.