The University of Toronto’s Scarborough campus is one step closer to a better understanding of the world’s second biggest economy. 

A new lecture series entitled Getting to China Competence was launched by UTSC and the Bank of China’s Canada branch on October 8. David Mulroney, former Canadian ambassador to China and distinguished senior fellow at the Munk School of Global Affairs, took to the stage to deliver the series’ inaugural address. 

Mulroney discussed the close economic relationship between Australia and China as a model for a successful trading relationship. China is Australia’s number one trading partner.

Among the challenges in the way of a stronger relationship between Canada and China, Mulroney explained that a more personal approach is required in connecting with China in various areas, such as education and immigration.

UTSC’s Green Path program was highlighted as a step in the right direction. The program provides an opportunity for Chinese undergraduate students to experience a Canadian classroom learning environment.

The program takes place in the summer, admitting Chinese students directly from high school. Thus far, the program has facilitated successful transition of 1,200 Chinese students to UTSC. 

In an interview with The Varsity, Mulroney spoke about current political unrest in Hong Kong, where protestors have taken to the streets to demand universal suffrage in the Special Administrative Zone. 

Mulroney said that it’s important for Canadians to make their voices heard. 

“I think there will be a lot of voices in Canada saying it’s undiplomatic to speak up, or who are we to speak up? We have a voice and it’s important to speak or else these things are ignored by, for example, the government in Beijing,” Mulroney said.  

Rick Halpern, UTSC dean and vice-principal of academics, opened the event with introductory remarks. 

“The most important outcome will be a higher profile for the University of Toronto Scarborough around China studies and what Mr. Mulroney called ‘China competency,’” Halpern said. 

Halpern added that Canadians still have significant lessons to learn about China. “Canadians need to understand China in order to make intelligent decisions about our country’s relationship with it, but also in order to understand the way in which China, its culture, and its people are impacting our own society,” Halpern said. 

Halpern also highlighted the many opportunities for students to learn more about China.  The lecture series is just one of many resources and programs that the university offers. 

For example, the university offers a summer program in Shanghai that provides students from the University of Toronto and Fudan University with a look at international issues from both Western and Chinese perspectives.