Two unnamed male students were reportedly involved in a violent altercation at a F.O.L.D. (Flying with Origami, Learning to Dream) event on October 10.

Scissors were reportedly used as weapons in the altercation.

The event was a modular workshop held by the student group in Sidney Smith Hall, and was planned with the intent of teaching students how to fold hexaflexagons and firework origami designs.

The altercation was the result of personal matters unrelated to the club and allegedly escalated from verbal exchanges to physical violence. Witnesses tried to intervene and an ambulance was called. The two students went to the police station and could face charges.

Susan Cui, F.O.L.D. president, declined requests for comment. “The situation is still under investigation. At this moment we cannot release any information and will be unanimously declining an interview,” Cui said.

Althea Blackburn-Evans, U of T director of media relations, also declined comment on the incident. “As the matter is before the courts, the University will not comment [on] the specific allegations. The University is committed to a safe campus environment,” Blackburn-Evans said.

F.O.L.D. was founded at the St. George campus in 2007 with a mission to promote the entertainment and educational values of origami.

Since the alleged incident, F.O.L.D. has continued to host on-campus events, including a Halloween-themed workshop and an origami night in collaboration with the Centre for International Experience.