The University of Toronto is often applauded for its stellar research faculty and facilities. It comes as no surprise that 13 U of T researchers have been titled Canada Research Chairs in their respective fields. In addition, 12 researchers have had their positions renewed.

The Canadian Minister of State for Science and Technology, Ed Holder, announced on October 16 that $29.6 million in funding will be going to researchers at the University of Toronto. A total of $118 million in funding will be distributed to researchers across Canada.

Mark Adler, Member of Parliament for York Centre, said, “Our government is making the investments necessary to attract and retain highly talented researchers who support the creation of new jobs and new opportunities.”

U of T’s interim vice-president, research and innovation, Dr. Peter Lewis said in a press release, “We are grateful to the government of Canada for this investment.” He added, “The program has been critical to the university’s ability to attract and retain the best researchers from around the world — and to Canada’s as a nation.”

“As a result of today’s announcement, the University of Toronto is now home to 222 Canada Research Chairs, promising minds like Dr. Goldie Nejat, whose research into new robotic technologies will help Toronto compete and win in the knowledge economy,” said Adler.