From sit-ups to push-ups to planks, we’ve heard of and tried them all. There are countless classic exercises targeting the abdominal muscles and the obliques, and they can undeniably yield satisfying results. However, there are also a range of lesser-known modified exercises that allow for more variety in core strength training. Below are two weighted and two non-weighted exercises that isolate the abdominal muscles and the obliques. For each exercise, attempt to complete three sets of 10 repetitions.

Weighted exercises

Cable rotation
How to do it: Using the cable system at the gym, stand with your feet roughly shoulder-width apart. Adjust the machine to your desired weight and start by firmly holding a cable with both hands at shoulder-level. Keep your arms straight — don’t bend your elbows. While focusing on engaging your core, rotate only your upper body to one side and hold briefly. You should then return to the centre, rotate to the opposite side, and return to the centre.
How it works: This exercise gives a great range of motion and is very effective for the obliques.

Rope crunch
How to do it: This also requires the cable system, but with a rope attachment. Kneel in front of the cable system with your back to the cable, and grasp the rope firmly with your hands on either side of your neck. The rope should not be touching the back of your neck but should be held close to it. Engage your core and bend forward, bringing your elbows to your thighs.
Modification: Stand in front of the machine with your back to the cable and with your feet shoulder-width apart. Proceed to perform the same exercise while standing for a slightly less intense workout.
How it works: This isolation exercise directly targets the abs It can also be used to focus on obliques if done with twists.

Non-weighted exercises

Modified crunches:
How to do it: Lie on a mat and proceed to complete 10–20 standard crunches. Lift your legs to a 45-degree angle and complete another 10–20 crunches. Finally, extend your legs straight above you so that they are perpendicular to the ground and complete another 10–20 crunches. Return to the second position with your legs at a 45-degree angle for another 10–20 crunches, and end with 10–20 crunches in the original position.
How it works: These are a great variation on standard crunches. They make 100 crunches seem far less daunting and allow for greater isolation of the abdominal muscles.

Hanging leg raises
How to do it: Grasp the chin-up bar tightly with both hands roughly shoulder-width apart and extend your arms so that you are in a hanging position. Proceed to raise your legs to a 90-degree angle with your torso. You may choose to hold the position for a moment before extending your legs again and repeating.
How it works: This exercise mainly targets the abs, but it also requires and helps to develop your upper body strength. It is most effective when done slowly, which also eliminates the swinging motion you might encounter during your first attempt.

Check out our previous workouts for your lower body and upper body.