Athletes Devin Johnson, forward for the men’s basketball team, and Charlotte Sider, leftside hitter for the women’s volleyball team, were selected as the Varsity Blues athletes of the week. Both athletes had impressive individual performances and lead their teams over the weekend.

Johnson and the men’s basketball team began their regular season last weekend with two games in Waterloo. Facing the Waterloo Warriors in the first game, Johnson lead the Blues during a strong fourth quarter comeback to earn the victory.

“In the 4th quarter, we were able to get key stops and seal those stops with a good rebounding effort,” says Johnson. He finished the game with 24 points and 18 rebounds.

The Blues returned to the court the following day, when the team faced the Laurier Golden Hawks. Even though the Blues outplayed the Hawks in the fourth quarter, the Blues could not secure the victory. Johnson finished with 20 points and six rebounds.

Johnson begins the season with two 20-point games. This weekend was a bittersweet one for the Blues, as Johnson remarks.

“What we took away from opening weekend was that we need to have a more consistent effort,” he says.

On November 14 and 15, the team plays home games against Windsor and Western. Johnson and the Blues now prepare for the competitive opponents and the season home opener.

“I know the team will be ready for the tough test,” says Johnson.

Sider and the women’s volleyball team continued their first-place regular season last weekend at the Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport, beating top team Ryerson Rams in straight sets. Sider says that strong serving, covering attackers, and strategic defense were key to earning the victory.

Sider led the game with 17 kills and added one ace, one block, and five digs. The Rams were previously undefeated this season, but the Blues were able to make big plays at key moments to keep their momentum.

“As a team we collectively celebrate each other’s successes by coming together, whether it be a block, kill or ace, and these are the moments that pull the momentum back on our side,” Sider says.

As a top team in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA), Sider and the Blues are the team to beat. Each game presents a challenge to the Blues, whomever they face.

“This is the reality of being at the top, everyone is wanting to be the team to take us down,” says Sider.

The Blues are aiming for an OUA podium finish.

The women’s volleyball team will visit Nipissing and York on November 15 and 16.. Sider explains that it is import to prepare tactically for each opponent so that the Blues can stay on their path.

“No matter who we play, the expectation is a challenge and fight from our opponent. Our focus is mainly on our own game plan because the team who wins, is the one who can play their own game best on that day,” says Sider.