Seaway has slowly built a following across Ontario — in the past few years, the band has been in high demand at university campuses, house parties, and local bars. They’re a household name at Toronto venues like Sneaky Dee’s, synonymous with high-energy shows and rowdy audiences. The Ontario locals have caught the attention of fans around the world, resulting in their signing to Pure Noise Records to record a new EP.

How did these house party rookies get to be so well known? Singer Ryan Locke says it didn’t happen overnight: “[T]here was definitely a lot of work that went into it in the beginning… bands would drop our tours. We just kept getting repeatedly screwed.”

Despite Seaway’s rocky start, the band is gaining recognition in Canada and the United States.  With tours with bands like Gob, Bayside, and I Am the Avalanche under their belts, it’s clear that Seaway has worked up a loyal, sizable fan base.

“We kind of knew after a year that people were into it,” says Locke.

The band released a new EP on November 4. All In My Head is their first record with Pure Noise, and they took a different approach to recording than with their 2013 full-length Hoser.

“We… spent a week together writing songs,” says guitarist Andrew Eichinger, adding, “We went into the studio totally prepared. We had a lot of time to experiment.”

Fans can expect a more pop-heavy sound on All In My Head compared to the pop punk energy the band is known for. But Seaway’s extensive planning and experimentation produced a sonically cohesive record that the band is particularly proud of.

“We think they’re the best songs we’ve ever written,” says Eichinger.

Seaway has also tackled social issues with their music before. This past Valentine’s Day, the band released a video for the Hoser track “Slowing Down,” which features an attraction and hook-up between two female roommates. Portraying the band’s view “that all love is equal,” as said in an interview with Alternative Press,  the video also made the track extremely popular, especially at live shows.

“We definitely stand up for things that are important to us personally,” says Eichinger, “but we try to keep things light.”

Seaway started out playing house parties and basement shows, so it’s no surprise that putting on a fun show is part of the band’s philosophy. “When people come to Seaway shows, we expect that they’re there to party and have a good time,” adds Eichinger.

Seaway’s combination of sincere lyricism and wildly fun live shows makes the band a refreshingly genuine addition to the pop punk genre. Pop punk is a genre that is weighed down by unoriginal content, and bands are often criticized for sounding the same as the next.

“We make somewhat of a conscious effort to avoid being too generic in the scene,” guitarist and vocalist Patrick Carleton says.

Locke adds, “It’s also a little bit natural… we’re just playing music that makes us happy.”

The members of Seaway dropped out of university and jumped from job to job in order to keep doing what they love. “With school it’s pretty difficult to be able to focus on [the band]… we’re working our way with online classes,” said Carleton.

Even now, after signing to a major label and a number of tours, Seaway hasn’t yet started to live the high life.  “We’re broke as fuck, basically,” states bassist Adam Shoji.

The band will be spending the month of November touring the US with easycore mainstays Four Year Strong, Transit, and Such Gold. In the new year, they’ll cross the pond for the first time to tour the UK with Neck Deep, Knuckle Puck, and Trophy Eyes.