The officers of the University of Toronto Engineering Society (EngSoc) have secured their positions until the end of 2014–2015 academic year. 

On November 12, EngSoc held its Accountability Meeting at the Galbraith Building.

The meeting was designed for all full-time and part-time undergraduate students in the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering to give feedback on the officers’ performance and to remove them from their positions if their performance has been unsatisfactory. 

Each officer gave a PowerPoint presentation laying out their accomplishments, goals for the remainder of the year, and current society circumstances. 

Teresa Nguyen, EngSoc president, defined the current core issues surrounding EngSoc, including balancing long- and short-term projects, various goals and initiatives, and closing the gap between EngSoc and its 80 affiliated clubs. 

Nguyen’s presentation was followed by Mehran Hydary, EngSoc vice-president, finance; Karan Shukla, vice-president, communications; Ryan Gomes, vice-president, academic; and Cory Sulpizi, vice-president, student life. 

Each presentation was followed by a question and answer session with the audience to clear any confusion about the information delivered.

The meeting did not reach the quorum of 50 members, and thus members did not vote on whether each officer should continue in their current positions. 

The voting procedure was replaced with an opportunity for the audience to submit anonymous feedback to the officers.

Members suggested that the team save quarrels for their own meetings and solve any internal problems on their own. 

Members also called for a clearer division of responsibilities for officers, and for officers to reach out more often to the engineering student body. 

Matthew Lee, an aerospace engineering student who hosted the meeting, passed all comments on to the officers after the session.

Nguyen said that EngSoc’s practice of holding an accountability meeting that enables its members to evaluate the executives’ performance and give them the power to continue or terminate executives is relatively rare among other student organizations.

Editor’s Note: The last sentence of this article has been updated for clarity.