Basketball

The basketball season has begun for both the women’s and the men’s basketball teams. The women’s basketball team started off its season strongly with a 4-2 record.

The team was off to a strong start after winning its first game by 12 points against the Waterloo Warriors.

The team’s key contributor is fifth-year player Jill Stratton, who is leading the team with 14.7
points per game.

Although the Blues experienced two tough losses following their first win, the team has quickly bounced back. They are currently on a three-game winning streak and hope to keep this going against the 3-3 Carleton University side on Friday.

The men’s basketball season has been a bit more difficult than the women’s. The team won its first game against the University of Waterloo Warriors in a closely contested match.

Unfortunately, they are now 2-4 in the season. However, three of the team’s four losses had scores of less than 10 points difference, two of which were decided by just three points.

The team is led by the third-year Devin Johnson who is averaging 18.2 points per game.
Along with Johnson, other players hope to bounce back from what has been a rough season so far.

The team faces two top teams of Canadian Intercollegiate Sports basketball this upcoming weekend — Carleton and University of Ottawa.

Volleyball

The men’s volleyball team is going through a rough stretch of games this November. They are 1-6 this month, with a 2-7 record overall.

They suffered three consecutive heartbreaking 3-2 losses earlier this month.

They bounced back after grinding a tough 3-2 win against Nipissing, the team’s play has gone downhill from there; they are currently on a three-game losing streak.

The Blues have back-to-back home games this Friday and Saturday against the 4-4 University of Windsor Lancers and 4-4 University of Western Ontario Mustangs. These are must-win games for the team to make the playoffs.

The women’s volleyball team is having a spectacular season. The team has a perfect record of 8-0, only giving up two sets the entire season.

Fifth-year veteran Charlotte Sider is a major part of this success as she is fifth in CIS for kills per set.

The team is 5-0 in November, including a key win against the Ryerson University Rams, whose defeat at the hands of the Blues is their only loss of the season.

Most recently, the Blues won against the McMaster University Marauders with a perfect 3-0 score line.

The final game of the month is against Ottawa on Sunday, where the women’s team hopes to maintain their undefeated record in this memorable season.

Hockey

It has been a rough November for the men’s hockey team as they are 1-4 this month. It began well with a huge win against a solid Waterloo side. Since this win, the Blues have been on a four-game-losing streak.

However, there are signs of hope for the team as three of the four losses were decided by one goal.

They must improve their 4-9 record if they want to make the playoffs. In order to do so, two upcoming games are absolutely crucial. The first is against the 3-9 University of Guelph Gryphons on Friday and the second is against the 5-8 Wilfred Laurier University Goldenhawks on Saturday. The Blues are able to achieve these wins and need to do so to move up in the standings.

JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

JENNIFER SU/THE VARSITY

The women’s hockey team is enjoying a quality season. They are 6-5 overall, with a 2-3 record this month.

All five games this past month were decided within a one-goal margin, including two shootout losses. Furthermore, narrowly losing to the undefeated Western Mustangs team by one goal goes to show that this hockey team has the potential to compete at an even higher level in the second half of their season.

They currently have a berth in the playoffs but they must maintain their performance in order to keep it.

Two important away games await the Blues team on the weekend. On Saturday, the team takes on the 6-6 York University Lions and on Sunday, the team takes on the 6-5 Laurier Goldenhawks team.

These are vital games that could decide playoff spots at the end of the season.