As the season winds down, the Varsity Blues swimming team continues its dominating performance. This past weekend many swimmers competed in the Winter Cup. As half of the men’s and women’s teams went to Montréal for the Eastern Cup over the weekend, the remaining members stayed at the Varsity Pool for the two-day event.

The Blues won a total of 15 out of the 40 events held, more than any other group participating.

Friday saw the Blues take three of the 12 events. First-year Melanie McDonald won the women’s 200-metre freestyle. Rookie John Peltch and fourth-year Kent Kikot finished first and second, respectively, in the men’s 200-metre freestyle. Edward Liu finished first in the men’s 100-metre butterfly. Michael Sinla, Alex Magnan, and Josh Gold finished third, fourth, and sixth, respectively.

Saturday saw 28 events held, starting in the morning. Keith Eriks won the men’s 100-metre backstroke. Fourth-year Bridget Coley and rookie Lisa van Breugel finished first and second, respectively, in the women’s 400-metre freestyle. Third-year veteran Ester Haines ended the two-day meet for U of T by handily winning the women’s 400-metre individual medley.

EVAN LUKE/THE VARSITY

EVAN LUKE/THE VARSITY

Third-year Edward Liu was the star for the Blues this weekend, winning every event in which he competed. Along with the 100-metre free on Friday, Liu also won the 50-metre freestyle, 100-metre butterfly, 200-mere butterfly, 50-metre backstroke, and 50-metre butterfly on Saturday.

The Blues competed with their rivals from the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) conference, like Western and Ottawa. The hosts of the event, the Toronto Swim Club, also participated.

The swimming team returned to the pool after winning its first meet of the new year last week against the Western Mustangs. Heading into this meet, both the men’s and women’s teams were ranked first in the OUA conference. In the Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) rankings, the Blues are ranked second and third amongst other men’s and women’s squads.

This meet will be the Varsity Blues’ last at home this season. They will travel to Ottawa for the OUA finals from February 5–7, and then to Victoria, British Colombia for the CIS Championships from February 19–21.

The men’s squad will compete for its thirteenth-straight provincial title and third-straight national title, while the women’s squad contends for its third-straight provincial title.