Michael Denton and Charlotte Sider are captains of the Varsity Blues’ men’s and women’s volleyball teams, but their circumstances couldn’t be more different.

The men’s team has had a tough season, currently sitting in tenth place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA). 

“The opportunities in each match will continue to present themselves, as they have all year. It’s just a matter of approaching them with confidence and composure to be successful,” says Denton.

Denton, a veteran of the sport, started playing volleyball when he was 12 years old. His love for the game was cemented after successful finishes on a number of teams, winning four club national and four provincial championships and two AAAA OFSAA gold medals in high school.

He attributes his development to his teammates and head coach John Barrett, who has been with the team for four seasons.

“John always says, ‘The only thing that stays constant is change… you either adapt to it, or you suffer because of it,’” says Denton.

“As a captain, you are always going to be a leader on and off the court. At times, you’re leaned upon by others and need to put on an emotional front for the benefit of your team, while on the court you are leaned upon to make the big play at key times,” Denton says.

Michael Denton. COURTESY OF THE VARSITY BLUES

Additionally, Denton recognizes the importance of the freedom with which Barrett lets his captain lead the team.

The men’s team has games coming up in the upcoming weeks against Western, Windsor, and Queen’s, all ahead of U of T in the OUA standings.

Meanwhile, the women’s volleyball team is undefeated and in first place in the OUA east division with a 13–0 record.

Sider, captain of the women’s volleyball team, attributes the team’s success to a specific set of skills, including “unconditional work ethic every day at practice, positive team dynamic and connections, understanding of our path, and overall belief and trust in each other’s abilities.”

Modesty is part of Sider’s character, something only surpassed by her focused ambition. As an athlete, she is ranked ninth in kills per set in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS).

For Sider, this is only the beginning. “I hope to compete for Canada professionally on the National beach volleyball team and one day represent Canada at the Olympics,” she says.

When asked about the team’s prospects this year, Sider maintains that there is a lot that can still happen.

“Our objective as a team is to focus on what we can control, and that is to work our hardest every practice and be in the moments in order to best prepare for OUA playoffs and CIS nationals and each game leading up to it,” she says.

The Varsity Blues women’s volleyball team faced Western University, ranked fourth in the OUA west division, on Friday, and will face Queen’s University, ranked second in the division, on January 24.

Looking forward, Sider emphasizes that the Blues focus on their own game and executing to their fullest potential.

“[The team needs to] continue to trust in the routines and work we have put in throughout the season. This is the best way for us as a team to be confident no matter who we play,” she says.

The women’s team has an exciting phase of its season coming up with the end of the OUA season approaching and the CIS championships coming to the Goldring Centre at the end of Febuary. The men’s team’s chances of making the playoffs are slim, but it will look to the end of its season to rebuild for next year.